She paused, finding them all assembled in the main room. Jamie and Chris were on the bed nearest the window. Ashton and Nick had claimed the other. They were all sitting up watching the small television, except for Jamie who was already snoring away. Feeling awkward, Chloe stood by, not really knowing what to do with herself.

Chris stood up and squeezed by her on his way to the bathroom. She literally had to sit down on the bed to make room. Seizing the opportunity, Nick pulled her up, placing her between him and Ashton. Catching her off guard, she struggled to maintain some level of dignity.

She then looked from Nick to Ashton and smiled mischievously. "Well, I guess it could be worse." She giggled

"Nick?" Ashton said. "If you think that this is going to be our sleeping arrangement, I'm afraid you're delusional, man."

"What? Where else am I going to sleep? On the floor?" Nick protested.

"I don't give a rat's ass where you sleep but you're not sleeping here," Ashton said, reaching over and shoving him. Of course, Nick shoved back and then the usual wrestling started. Thinking quick, Chloe sat up away from them as the swearing and slapping ensued.

"Good Lord, would you two shut up. I'm trying to sleep over here," Jamie said, waking up.

Chris stepped out of the bathroom and shook his head at Ashton and Nick who had now both fallen over into the small space between the beds. "Come on, guys, let's get something to eat first. Then you can scrap it out all you want," he said, pulling Ashton off of Nick.

They stood there brushing themselves off looking disgruntled and uncomfortable. Chloe couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. Jamie stood up looking at them with disgust.

"Come on, let's go," Jamie said. "We're not getting anywhere here."

"Where?" Chloe asked, not having seen any decent restaurants in the area.

"There's a roadhouse back a mile," Jamie said, reaching for his keys. "Let's all go in the van. That fancy BMW might bring us some unwanted attention."

"A roadhouse?" Chloe frowned unimpressed at the sound of that.

"Yes, a roadhouse," Jamie repeated impatiently. "What did you expect this trip to be about, fine dining and fancy hotels?"

"No, I'm sorry." She flinched at his tone.

"Come on, back off," Chris groaned, standing by the door. All things considered, Chloe's handling this quite well."

"Yeah, I know, " Jamie said, oddly regretful. "Come on, let's go. We'll all feel better with a little food in us."

Chris and Jamie exited the room with Nick close behind. Chloe started to follow but Ashton reached out and held her back a moment. He gave her a much-needed hug and some words of encouragement. "Chin up, sweetness, you're among friends."

"Yes, I guess you're right," she whispered.

***

Chloe was surprised at how roomy Jamie's van was. There were seats for everyone plus room for most of the equipment and what didn't fit was being pulled along in a trailer out back. She sat squeezed in the backseat between Ashton and Nick, having to duck and dodge the occasional shoves and shots they gave each other.

Soon enough they arrived at the questionable roadhouse. Chloe decided to keep her opinion to herself for the rest of the evening, hoping to avoid giving the guys any reason to regret their decision to bring her along. She figured she'd just trust them since they'd probably been in places worse than this. Although it was hard to imagine any place worse than this. Again the parking lot was full of motorcycles and pickup trucks.