Chapter 2

Chapter 2:
As the days progressed the more I felt like a prisoner in this huge house. Men hoarded in and out of the door daily and I was left to clean up the mess they left since I was the only co-operative girl living her. I cooked, cleaned, washed; you name it i did it. I knew at the back of my mind if I refused that I'd either get kicked out or get bored within the first hour and return to whatever I was doing. The house itself was captivating but there was nothing to do; TV and games can only do so much to entertain you when you're alone. Books seemed to be scares around the house, until one day I found a room full of them. The plan initially was to sneak in, grab the first book I could and run away, but it seemed fate had another idea.
I pushed the door open and saw the rows of bookshelves housing millions of stories and my heart swelled. Books were something of a passion of mine, not that I would let anyone else know that. Before I dropped out of school I pulled off the 'dumb girl' facade. Teachers gave up without the support of my mother and I was left to my own devices; no one cared enough to push me. But books have always been different to school work, they swallow you into a story and into a whole new world. Every book is something different and new, something I wish I could have in my life. I walked through column after column of bookcases, tracing my fingers over the spines, trying to pick one to throw myself into. I picked one quickly and dusted it off before looking around. The silence was so beautiful, and I wondered if I could stay here to read. No one was in the house, that I knew of. I'd have a few hours before I had to start dinner and I was aware of how fast I can read, so I found a beat up arm chair at the back of the room, curled myself into it and began to read.
I'm not sure how long had past when I hit chapter 25 and my eyes started to water. Tear after tear rolled down my face as my heart bled out for the girl in the book, rejected by the one she adored. My lips moved as I read the words with shaky breathes and trembling fingers.
"Why are you crying" A husky voice asked me and I jumped in my skin. I snap the book closed and look around to find the owner of the voice, and I come face to face with green eyes and pink lips.
"Oh I was-eh, I was reading" I mumble as I wipe away my tears. To say I was embarrassed would be an understatement. This girl who I barely know caught me sobbing over a book when I'm meant to prove I'm not a thing of weakness; she probably sees me as a blubbering mess.
"I was just eh-" I continue as I embarrass myself "just upset, you know, the story was sad"
She stared at me for a long time with a scowl on her face, probably trying to size me up, see if I was a threat to her in anyway.
"What are you doing here?" She asks and a shiver runs down my spine. Her voice is the most infatuating thing I've ever heard, I want her to read every single book in this room to me with that voice.
"Eh...reading?" I say questioningly.
"I mean in my house" she says back as she crosses her arms.
"I'm with Mac, im his girlfriend" I tell her with a forced smile. I tuck the book under my arms in hopes she won't take it off me. I don't know how she normally acts, she could rip the book out of my hands and slap me with it for all I know.
"How long have you been with him?" She asks keeping expression off her face. As she talks her white teeth show and I wonder how they'd look on full display as she threw her head back with laughter, or just simply smiled.
"Three years next month" I say automatically. It's normal for people to question our relationship, most people think I'm just a fling of his but we've been together a while, I didn't really know any other way than him.
"What's your name?" I ask quietly but before I can stop her she's gone.
I notice my heart is racing and my hands are shaking. Was that because of her? She was intimidating but not scary, apart from her eyes. I couldn't wrap my head around her. I took out my phone to check the time, and I was shocked I was sitting there for just over three hours. I got up, stretched my legs out and made my way to the kitchen to start dinner.
Half an hour later I've just about managed to make a meal for over 20 men. They all pile through the door and sit down after serving themselves with a loud rumble of deep voices shouting over each other. I sit on the counter in the kitchen picking at my food as my mind wonders back to the girl with the green eyes. I wonder does she ever smile, and what I'd have to do or say to evoke such an action. My stomach starts to twirl at the thought of hearing her laugh and a smile plays on my lips.
"What you so damn happy about?" Mac drunkly snaps at me as he makes his way into the kitchen.
"Oh-eh nothing, just happy I suppose" I say with a fake smile and I hear him complaining under his breathe.
"Whatever. Paul broke his bottle outside so you'll have to clean it up because we're all leavin' now" he says to me before looking down at me face. He takes my chin and cheek into his hand and pulls it up so I'm looking at him.
"You stay here, you hear me?" He says in a warning tone and I struggle to nod in response.
"That's my girl" he replies before smashing his lips onto mine. They're always chapped and rough, and when he's drunk he makes it his business to force his tongue into my mouth the second he can. After he's done sucking my face he pats my cheek harshly before turning and exiting without another word. I let out a sigh and run my hand through my hair. The prospect of my night looked bleak with cleaning glass off the floor and tidying this place again looking like my only activities. I grab the dustpan and the brush before making my way into the dining room to clean up the mess. The second I walked in I felt eyes staring at me and there she was, sitting in the corner with her food on her lap. I tried my best to act cool as I bent down to clean up the glass, but failed miserably when I cut my hand on it. Blood poured out faster than I could cope with and I felt myself getting lightheaded but all at once I was carried into the kitchen and placed on the counter. A wet cloth was pressed to my hand and I noticed the presence of my helper was missing, to only be returned as she carried a white gauze. She delicately took the cloth from around my hand and cleaned the blood. She takes a tissue and placed it over the wound softly and I took her being distracted with my hand as an advantage to study her. Her face was so beautiful, her skin was so soft looking and her eye lashes were so long. Everything about her was perfect.
She wound the gauze around my hand and clipped it so it'd stay in place, before she held my injured hand in both of hers, always keeping her eyes on the bandage. She ran her thumb over it softly and i felt my breathe hitch in my throat. But as quickly as she had whisked me in here she was gone, out of the kitchen and out of my sight, and I still didnt even know her name.