Chapter Sixteen

Every day I hung out with Christopher, or Chris, or Pig, as I liked to call him because he always ate more than he should of. Either in spare time or at night when he was to turn off the lights, Chris and I would have our own privet conversations. We could talk on and on about things. He was very curious about life on the farm, back from what I remember when I was little, to before I left. I even told him about the tiniest details, like that duck named Gerald, or the llama that ate a chicken. I also asked him questions, like where he came from. Chris told me lots of things, like his family, other jobs, and even something about a girlfriend, but it seemed to personal so I didn't ask him any questions about that. The only answer I didn't get over my few weeks with Chris here is what this place actually is. I decided to ask him tonight.

"Chris, you never answered me," I told him as him and I got ready to have our little evening chat, "What is this place, anyways?"

"Well, here Hobo, we make commercials for big companies. Well, one day this big food chain called Chick-Fa-La called us and said they wanted to make a commercial. Our company saw they were going to be a big thing, since they were just starting out, so we agreed to shoot commercials for them. Chick-Fa-La only serves chicken, not beef, so they wanted to have a cow in their commercial, just to be funny. That's where you come in. Now, you claim to have not been brought in by a truck, so I really have no idea where you came from-"

"I told you, my curiosity took over and led me into this building. Simple as counting to ten." I interrupted.

"Ok then, count to ten, Hobo." Chris challenged me.

"Fine, one, fifteen, uh..., five, uh........., two, skip a few, ten. Ha! See! Simple math."

"Ok, um..., anyways. When we shoot commercials, we have big cameras and lights, just for effect. You are the star, Hobo. All you have to do is just stand there and make your moo noise. That's why mostly everyone treats you like a king. After we are all done filming, we edit the shots and put them in order. Then it's ready to be released to the world of television." Chris told me. I have to say, I was impressed.

"So, your saying I'll be famous?" I asked, excited.

"Yep!" He replied, satisfied I actually understood what he said.

That night, I just imagined my life as a famous cow. I also imagined how it must feel to be that other cow on the truck that never made it here, that cow who will never get to be famous. Well, not as long as I'm here.