Chapter Two

I hear the doorbell ring and I hurriedly scramble out of bed, racing down the stairs to open the door. A smile spread across my face, I can't believe I’ve been going through this without my best friend. What what a way to uplift my mood.

Evie is probably the most beautiful girl I, and all my other friends for that matter, have probably ever come across. She has shoulder-length, wavy natural blonde hair that never ceases to look flawless, light blue eyes, impeccable skin. I am acutely jealous of her. I don’t know how she does it. Her mother’s Puerto Rican and she’s adopted most characteristics from her Irish father—could that be it? Lord knows. She also has a Victoria’s Secret model-like figure, you know, just to make the rest of the female population feel shitty about themselves.

She drops two brown paper shopping bags in her hands onto our ‘WELCOME’ doormat and jumps on me, nearly causing me to fall on the threshold. She firmly places her hands on my cheeks and stares at me with a concerned expression.

“Sky, we have to take the day off school. I heard about what happened with Dylan yesterday which pretty much explains why you look like death, so today I solemnly vow to have a cry–your–heart–out day with you.” She places one hand dramatically on her chest. I open my mouth, about to say something when she grasps my lips with her thumb and four fingers so I make a silly muffled sound. We both burst out in hysterical laughter and for a moment I feel better but then I start to frown. “Sky, don’t worry. Today will be just us, no teachers, no students, no Douchebag Dylan, only you and me. Now go tell your dad you have diarrhoea or something.” We both grin.

“What are in the bags?” I curiously ask, glancing over them now placed on my bedroom floor.

“Go talk to Sean, I’ll hide, and when you come back I’ll show you.” She states, a brassy smile appearing on her face.

“Hopefully he’s still asleep,” I glance nervously at my door. If he heard Evie come in, and I have to explain why she’s here…I’ll probably just crawl into a hole.

“Hide in my closet,” I order. “He’ll probably come in so don’t come out until I say the safe word, uh…‘marzipan’, understand?”

“Comprendo.” Evie gracefully walks over to my closet but then diminishes her attempt to look elegant by clumsily trying to get in, which results in me having to shove her in. I’m not quite sure of why but we simply can’t stop giggling. We sound about eleven years old.

At the last shove of Evie’s backside into my tiny closet, I realise my dad has actually gotten up and his footsteps become increasingly louder, approaching my room. I gasp, shushing Evie before shutting the sliding door and standing in front, facing my bedroom door. I try to compose myself and he knocks.

“Come in,” I croak, trying to convincingly sound like a sick person.

“Hey, kiddo.” He walks over and briefly squeezes me. His hugs are always so uncomfortable, they lack so much passion. He looks down at me, worried. “Why aren’t you getting ready for school?”

“I, erm,” I place my hands on my stomach. “I think there's some kind of bug going around.”

“Shit. Sorry, Sky. I’ll be at work until six today so I won’t be able to keep you company. You’ll be fine here by yourself? You know where the medicine is, right?”

“Yes, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

“Good.” He smiles down at me before his eyes suddenly transfix upon the two bags resting on the carpet by my bed. Fudge. I’d forgotten about those. Before he opens his mouth I say speak.

“Groceries!” I squeak. “Those are, groceries. That, uh, I bought yesterday because I was going to cook dinner but then I fell asleep.” He looks back down at me, bemused. I nervously smile at him. “Um, I think it’s time for you to go get ready for work now Sean, it should be illegal for you to be in here for so long.” I grab his arm and lead him out as he walks reluctantly, still looking confused. I quickly smile at him and then shut the door. Evie scrambles out of the closet making literally, as much noise as possible.