3 The Popular Girl

Start from the beginning

"But Angelo sure is good looking," Avery sighed dreamily, "Have you seen his eyes?" she squealed. "They're golden. How many times do you see a guy with golden eyes?"

"I thought you didn’t like him," I accused.

She rolled her eyes. "Of course I don't. He's way down on the class ladder. But he is a nice looking piece of candy!"

   Anxious to change the subject, I turned to Taralynn and asked, "So, Tara, are you still having that party?"

"Sure," she brightened up, "Ricky's going to be home this weekend and he's inviting some of his UCLA friends."

"Ooh, college men," giggled Avery.

"You're such a slut, Avery Tanner," I said.

"Hey don't judge me," she retorted.

   I was glad they had left the dreaded subject of Angelo Tallerico. I could not help but feel a little guilty about how horribly I had used him and now I had put him in Carson's line of fire. I had heard the rumors circulating and I was disgusted not only because they weren't true but because of Carson's shameless attitude. I was disgusted with myself for actually being in love and wondered what I had seen in him.  I felt sick to my stomach watching Carson strut down the hallways with Lori hanging off him.

     I turned my head and spotted Angelo sitting alone in a corner of the cafeteria, there was a tray of food in his front but he was just turning an apple in his hand. I saw the whispers and pointed fingers and felt a pang seeing him so lonely. Maybe he was naturally a loner? I wanted to ask Taralynn but that would make her suspicious. With Taralynn and Avery occupied with the details of Friday night, I felt free to my study Angelo. He was in most of my classes since the year began and had never said a word to me.

I knew he wasn’t just any ordinary Joe from the Bay Area. He was basically the star student. The main brain that even intimidated the teachers. He was always punctual to class, there were no delayed assignments and every question threw his way was answered perfectly. He was ahead of our years as well, as I had seen him taking a few classes with the seniors.

Just watching him, transported me suddenly to a time past as I began to remember him.

......Angelo Tallerico. It was Freshmen Orientation and I had first seen him when Principal Sinclair had introduced our full scholarship student. Angelo Tallerico had turned in the best application and had broken the record in the Entrance Examination with a score of 99.7%. I had thought it was impossible but it wasn't. Angelo was just a cute 15 year old, a little on the short side though. His golden eyes twinkled with intelligence and were kind, his mouth was quick to smile and reveal two dimples.

 During lunch on the first day, Taylor Wright was teasing uncontrollably and I was doing my best to ignore him. Annoyed Taylor had thrown his cup of Jell-O at me. It hit me in the head and spilled all over me.

Angelo ran over to kneel beside me and produced a silk handkerchief that he dampened which he used to gently wipe that sticky Jell-O out of my face. I remember he took such care the way a mother or father would. When he was done, he calmly took his own cup of Jell-O and proceeded to smack Taylor on the head with it before pouring its contents on him, taking special care to rub it into Taylor's hair and face. They had gotten into a fight and Angelo had been given detention but he didn't seem to mind................