chapter twenty six

Robert Marshall looks back at me through the window of his mansion. His stance was tense and his expression blank but I could tell he was ready to kick me off his property.

I've arrived at the Marshall's mansion only moments before and Robert sensed my uninvited presence. He revealed himself through the curtains and have been staring at me for a while now.

I finally take a step forward hesitantly and before I knock on the door, Robert opens it. I put my hand down. "Is Ashton here?" I ask.

Robert breathes deeply and shakes his head in what seemed like shame. "No, Taylor. I've been calling him for days."

I scowl. "Why are you lying to me?"

His face turns into annoyance. "Taylor, you're ruining my son's life," he spat. I flinch as I didn't see that coming. "Since he started dating you, or in your case, fake dating you, he's been rebelling against me. Do you know how that makes me feel? How it makes my wife feel? You're nothing but poison to him."

He shakes his head in disgust. "You and your family are nothing but low life bottom feeders. And because of you, I may have lost my son. My only child. Ever think about that?"

I gulp at his words. All of a sudden I'm angry. And I have every right to be. "First of all, don't bring my family into this, they have nothing to do with Ashton and I's lie," I snap. "Second, your son came to me for help for reasons I only found out an hour ago. Who's Skylar? Huh?"

Robert's face paled and his grip on the doorknob tighten. "Taylor," he growled. "You need to leave. You don't know the first thing about my family or me. Go before you get yourself hurt."

I scoff and back away. "Shows how much you truly care about him or your granddaughter with your wife in the way. You know he's been planning our fake relationship for a while now?" I ask him. "Guess you lost him before I came into the picture."

"Have a nice life Mr. Marshall," I say as I get onto my baby and speed my way out of there.

Robert's words flashed into my mind as I drove. Was anything he said true? Was I poison to Ashton? Did I cause their father son relationship to cripple even more?"

No. That can't be true. Ashton planned this and added me into his lie because of his daughter, somehow for some reason.

I remember my way to Janie, Ashton's biological mother's house and parked out front. The moment my feet touched the sidewalk, I see curtains moved aside and a figure looking back at me.

Ashton's face shows up, shirtless as if he just woke up and looks back at me tiredly. He looks at me for a moment before gesturing me to come inside.

I walk over to the door and open it. I see Ashton coming downstairs, not bothering to wear a shirt and stops a few feet away from me.

"What are you doing here?" he asks lowly. He looked terrible. There were bags under his eyes, his hair was messy, his voice was low and groggy.

What the hell happened to him?

"My dad told me everything," I blurted. I really didn't think this through. "Listen, I don't know what you're going through but you can't just leave me hanging like that. I care about you Ashton. I've grown attached to you. How can you look me in the eye and walk away like nothing ever happened between us?"

He looks at me in irritation. His fists were clenched by his sides. It looks like he's conflicted in between holding me or hurting me.

Probably the latter.

"Taylor," he breathes out deeply. "I shouldn't have brought you into this. I'm sorry. Now please leave."

"Ashton—"

"Enough of this you two," Janie walks into the foyer with an annoyed expression. "All this bickering going back and forth, just sit down for a second, son."

I hide in a grin when Janie said that. Ashton glares at his mom before going into the kitchen. I follow him behind after smiling gratefully at Janie and sit on a chair by the kitchen island.

"Does my aunt know she adopted your daughter? Is this why you brought me into this?" I ask. "Do you really hate my family that much?"

"I don't hate your family," he defends. "I hate mine."

"Tell me everything." I demand. "Now."

He sighs and takes a large bite of a muffin he grabbed. "I had a baby about a year ago with an old fling," he starts. He looks away in memory and a sad smile crosses his features. "She was worried about being a mother at seventeen, but I assured her I wasn't leaving her or letting her abort it. We had everything planned."

"My parents were shocked to say the least but furious ... Amanda convinced my father that Skylar would ruin his reputation which was complete bullshit. She just didn't like me. But my naive clueless father believe her and forced me to give her away."

"I'm sure he meant well, Ashton," I say softly. "When I spoke to him today, he seemed to care about you." I add, "In his own twisted way."

He shakes his head bitterly. "He chose Amanda over me. Over his own son and granddaughter. Skylar's mom died in childbirth so I had to be there for her. But I wasn't stable enough and Robert had more power than his seventeen year old son."

"Do you hate me?" I ask quietly.

His head snaps up quickly, shock written all over his face. "Why on earth would you think that?"

I shrug and fumble with my fingers. "My aunt adopted your daughter."

He shakes his head vigorously. "I could never hate you Taylor," he says softly. "I-I ..."

"You what?" I ask, eagerly wanting to know what he would say.

He shakes his head again. "I could never hate you," he repeats.

"That's good," I perch up. "Because I love you."

He blinks at me.

I stare blankly back.

His lips part but no words form.

"I'm in love with you, Ashton Marshall."