chapter seventeen

"What's wrong with you?" Liam asked, leaning against my locker.

I sigh. "Nothing important." I felt horrible. Moody. Depressed. Bored. Overthinking. It's been four days since the hotel talk and I could've died from curiosity and boredom.

Ashton won't tell me anything I want to know. He won't let me do anything I want. If I wanted a bodyguard, I'd ask and pay for one.

If this is what it's like to be in a possessive relationship, then I'm out.

I thought this relationship would be nice since I'd get my parents' affection and attention but nothing's changed.

We need to work harder. I still feel guilty not telling Liam, Houston, and Teddy. I guess Ashton and I are a little too good at lying for them to be interested in our fake relationship.

"I'm your best friend," Liam says. "Why are you lying to me? I swear, Ashton's ruining our friendship, you never lie to me!"

I grin. "Aww, does little Liam want Taylor's attention?" I ask in a baby voice.

"I would like at least some attention from my not-so-awesome best friend," Liam huffs.

I close my locker shut. "Don't worry, love. You'll have me soon."

Liam's phone rings. "Booty call?" I tease.

"Why do you hate her so much?" Liam groans.

I shrug. "Your bitch is batshit crazy."

"Possessive girls are hot, okay?"

"Just like possessive guys are annoying," I mutter under my breath.

I leave Liam to his call and walk outside the school where the football field was. On the bleachers, I saw Ashton with another girl. He was leaning on his elbows, looking at the field while the girl talks to him.

I couldn't help but feel somewhat jealous. Not that I'm developing feelings for him, but the fact that he's allowed to break his own rules but I can't. And the fact that he can get girls easily.

I make my way over to them casually, keeping my cool in check. Ashton sees me and smiles.

"Hey sweetheart," he greets. "This is Lacy."

"Are you the girlfriend?" Lacy asked, smiling widely.

"Damn straight," I say. "Excuse me, hoe, but why the fuck are you getting all touchy touchy with my man?" I demanded.

Lacy looks taken back and Ashton smirks, biting his lip to keep from laughing.

I turn to him. "We have a child together!" I go into my purse and pull out a water bottle and spray it on him. "Screw you, Marshall."

"I think I should go." Lacy smiles and hugs me.

I keep my arms by my side, my expression priceless. I'm not a hugger, especially not with strangers. Ashton smirking at us doesn't help me either.

Lacy leaves and I sit down next to Ashton. I didn't realize he had a cigarette in his hand until I smelt it. Ashton notices and drops it to the floor, stomping on it without breaking eye contact with me.

"Sorry for putting water all over you," I say. "Time of the month."

"Don't worry about it sweetheart," he says. "That was my cousin, Lacy by the way."

I raise an eyebrow. "You should've said something."

"It was too funny to see you all jealous," he grins like a little kid.

"Yeah, well," I say, looking out at the field.

Ashton sits up straighter, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "You were jealous."

I psst. "No I wasn't."

"Now you're in denial," he states.

"You're delusional," I say, piercing his eyes with mine.

"Were you really though?" He seems serious.

I hold his stare for a moment longer. "No, I wasn't," I state. "And even if I was, I have every right to be. I'm your girlfriend," I add.

He nods and shrugs. "I believe you."

"No you don't." I state.

He smirks. "No I don't."

It's amazing how two pairs can bundle together like Ashton and I.

I guess I knew him better than I thought.

♠♠♠

I groan in annoyance and physical agony. I felt as if my chest was tightening and my head was throbbing.

I have trouble breathing and sweat down my forehead. I grip my bedsheets tightly as I take a moment to breath.

"Hey, sweetheart," Ashton leans down to me, cupping my face in his hands. "It's alright, just breathe."

I pant heavily as I look in Ashton's blue eyes. I nod vigorously. "Okay, enough, I'm not giving birth."

He pulls back and I sit up against my headboard.

"It's honestly not that hard," he says.

I glare at him. "Easy for you to say. What's your grade in Math anyway?"

"A," he says like it's no big deal.

I gape at him. "How the hell do you have an A in math? Are you sleeping with the teacher or something?"

I'm terrible at Math and the fact that we're doing Math homework right now, I feel as though I'm ready to explode any minute now.

I have average grades. Every letter in the alphabet, even. I'm pretty sure I saw an E in my report card once.

"It's called intelligence, sweetheart."

I smack him in the head and take my Math textbook, trying to solve the equation. "I have intelligence," I say.

He grins and nods. "Whatever you say."

"Whatever you say," I mimic.

He takes my hand and places a kiss on it. I suck in a small breath, not expecting that at all.

He caresses my knuckles with his thumb. "Whatever I say, sweetheart, goes the way I say it."

I slightly pout. "I want to tell Liam about our lie."

He takes a deep breath. He opens his mouth, but I beat him to it.

"Please," I begged. "I hate lying to him. And he says I've been paying more attention to you than him."

He looks down at our intertwined hands. "Okay," he says.

"Okay?" I ask, unsurely.

He nods. "Okay."

Talk about a Fault In Our Stars moment.

I smile. "Okay."

"You should sleep," he says. "Special day tomorrow."

I groan. "You know I hate surprises," I say. "Your surprises suck!"

He chuckles. "Maybe for you, but trust me, this will help.

"Ever heard the phrase 'Trust me, I'm lying'?" I ask.

"Well, I am a pretty good liar, aren't I?" he smirks.

You have no idea.