chapter seven

Sleep is a wonderful thing. It takes away your pain and misery. It gives you a break from reality. It gives your body energy and rest. You can think of whatever you want and make your imagination.

Sleep helps your mind and body. It helps you make decisions or ignore bad things coming your way.

The bad thing about sleep? It can easily be taken away from you.

I punch whoever was sitting on my bed in the stomach, satisfied when I hear a groan of pain. I jump from my bed and pull my brother's old metal baseball bat from under my bed and hold it up high.

I hit the person repeatedly until they got it with one hand and took it from me. I punch, kick, and scream. I use the skills my father and brother taught me as self defense.

The person grabs my arms and push me onto the bed and pins my arms on the sides of my head. I butt head the person and growl when they don't remove their grip on me.

The lights suddenly turn on and I see Ashton on top of me. "Ashton?" I ask, flabbergasted. "Wha-what the hell are you doing here?"

"Just wanted to pick you up early," he growls.

"Okay, you've accomplished making me shit in my pants," I seethed. "Now get off of me, this position is wrong on so many levels."

He gets off me and I make my way to the bathroom and splash water on my face. I turn on the shower and walk into my room where Ashton was laying on my bed.

I walk over to the drawers and pick my outfit for the day. I turn on the sink and brush my teeth quickly. Once I was done, I jumped in shock when I see Ashton at the doorway.

I slip on my clothes that somehow got on the bathroom floor and fall backwards into the shower, becoming soak and wet.

Ashton bursts out laughing and holding onto his stomach as he leans against the bathroom sink. I glare at him and try to get up but fall back down again.

Ashton stops laughing and holds out his hand. I begrudgingly take it and he hauls me up.

"I'm sorry for making you wet," he says. "If only I knew how wet you truly are."

I smack his head hard, making a slap sound that echoed the walls. "You. Are. Disgusting."

He laughs in response and backs out, closing the door on the way. I undress quickly and hop into the shower. I'm a little cautious of leaving Ashton alone in my room. God knows what he's doing. Probably going through my underwear drawer.

I wrap a towel around myself and open the door and poke my head through. "Hey, you." I call out.

Ashton looks up from his phone. "Yes?"

"Just checking to make sure you're not lurking through my stuff." I say.

He stands up and walks over to me. "Hurry up, sweetheart."

I huff and slam the door. I dress quickly and blow dry my hair, taking my time just to piss him off. He took forever yesterday, it's only fair I do the same.

Karma's a bitch.

I walk out the bathroom and bump into a hard chest. We both slip and I land on Ashton, groaning in pain. As if God wanted to punish me, my mom walked by my room and stopped when she saw me on top of Ashton.

She looks back and forth between Ashton and I, debating on whether to scold me or walk away like it never happened.

She pretends to receive a phone call and walk away.

I breathe a sigh of relief and get off of Ashton, leaving him to pick himself up. "Always let me walk out with a clear passageway," I demand. "Maybe even add a red carpet and confetti if you want to think outside the box."

He looks as though he's debating on whether to laugh at me or punch me in the face. I ignore him and grab my bag, walking past him and storm down the stairs.

"Hola!" I yell in the intercom.

Nobody answers. Figures.

I grab an apple and walk to the door. I then realize Ashton didn't follow me downstairs.

I bet he's taking the opportunity to go through my underwear drawer.

I turn around, ready run when I see Ashton making his way downstairs causally, taking his time as usual.

I raise my hands up. "Why do you take so long?" I groan. "You're not a fucking girl! If you want to stay in this relationship, hurry the fuck up and keep up at my pace."

He cocks an eyebrow. "Are you threatening me, sweetheart?"

I scoff. "Maybe I am."

He nods and shrugs. He opens the door, letting me walk first. Manners: check. I walk to his Ferrari and he opens the door for me again. He must be in a good mood.

"Today's a big day," he suddenly says. "I want my parents to know about us. I had some things arranged."

I eye him suspiciously. "What things?"

He smirks. "You'll know when we get there, sweetheart."

I have a feeling he's up to something but I decided to wait and see for myself.

Ashton drives quickly as usual and helps me out. I eye a motorcycle parked out front. I jog over to it and admire it as if it's an artwork.

"Holy cow shit," I breathed out. "This is beautiful!"

Ashton walks over to me. "I didn't know you were into motorcycles."

I scoff. "I fucking love them! My brother taught me how to drive but my parents won't allow it until I'm eighteen."

Ashton nods as if he's acknowledging something. The sound of yelling and cameras clicking caught my attention. I hear people call my name and Ashton's. I follow the flashing and see a mob of reporters and interviewers, shoving cameras and microphones at my face.

Ashton's security guards push them back. I probably look like an idiot, standing there with my mouth wide open and my eyes as big as the sun's.

I turn to Ashton. "This was your surprise?"

He nods, "Yup." He wraps an arm around my shoulder. "Smile for the camera," he whispers.