Chapter 30

Liam's POV:

I shifted uncomfortably as Blake frowned at me. Since he was holding my hands, I began tapping my feet on the floor to keep from panicking.

                "When did it start?" He asked lowly, squeezing my hands a little.

                "About a w-week ago." I mumbled, causing Blake to growl. Despite knowing that he'd get upset with my response, I still flinched in my seat. His frown deepened, making me feel bad.

                "A week?! Liam, why didn't you tell me sooner?"

                "I-I wasn't sure. I t-thought I was dreaming a-about the eyes at my window."

                Blake let go of my hands in order to stand abruptly. I wanted to curl up into a ball, but decided against it as he motioned for me to get up too. I did, and quickly hurried around the table to grip onto his shirt as he began walking out of the cafeteria. His growl had caught people's attention, and now, they were watching us as we left. I didn't like it.

                "Your bedroom window." My mate muttered. I wasn't sure if I was to respond or not, so I kept quiet. Knowing that he was disappointed in me for not telling him sooner made me feel awful.

                The walk from the cafeteria to the parking lot was tensely silent. Blake didn't say a word to me as he unlocked the car. Before he could move away from me to get in on his side, I tugged on his shirt.

                "Please d-don't be mad at me, Blakey." I mumbled as I pressed my face into his back. I felt as he sighed deeply before turning around to hug me.

                "I'm not mad, love. I'm just worried." He sighed again. "We'll go to the detectives. If we're lucky, there can be a connection between this and the explosion."

                I nodded as I looked up at him with a small grin. He chuckled as he shook his head slightly before kissing my forehead.

                "We'll get through this." He whispered, making my heart pound.

                "I know w-we will."

***

                "Liam, can you give a description of the eyes you saw?" Detective Walker questioned politely. I wrung my hands nervously while sinking into the chair. Blake stood over me, rubbing my shoulders comfortably as the rhino's gaze didn't waver.

                "U-um, what would y-you like to know?" I asked back softly. Ugh, that was such a dumb question! Obviously, she wanted to know the color and stuff. Detective Walker laughed, making me blush in embarrassment.

                "Anything you can tell me, Liam. What color were they? Were they shifter or human eyes? Predatory or prey-like?"

                "Oh! Um, well they were black. I-I don't know if they belonged to a predator or prey, but they were d-definitely shifter eyes." I mumbled, feeling even more embarrassed. I couldn't believe I was such a scaredy-cat. Maybe it was all in my head and it was just a normal animal that stayed by my window at nights. Maybe their home was at the sill.

                "Anything else?" Detective Walker pushed. Fiddling with my fingers, I thought about the eyes some more.

                "N-no. That's all I know."

                "Well, thanks for your help." She smiled at me, making a small smile of my own appear on my face. I looked up at my mate who was looking at me proudly.