26 | Addiction

Sienna | Eric

Eric followed Leo back to the staff area of the nutrition shop.

He met eye with Sienna but didn't say anything. Instead his brain automatically analysed her.

Her white woolly turtle neck was over-sized and baggy, its shirt sleeves going way past her armspan in a way that when she picked up an object, she would have to excessively pull up her sleeves.

It hang over her long, ankle-lengthed skirt, hiding a possibly thin waist.

And last of all, Eric noticed for the first time how Sienna wore layers of socks, layers of socks as if trying to hide how thin her ankles were.

Realising all that he had not realised before, he felt helpless.

His heart bled.

He, more than most people, understood what it was like to be anorexic.

Not because he had suffered from it, but because his college course was the pharmaceutical study to prevent such cases like this.

Sienna.

God, her problems were a mountain.

But even then, he knew he loved her.

She was the only one who could understand him. Who could answer his texts without total ignorance. She was unlike those unappreciative relatives of his that used him for his brain but in reality scorned him for not understanding their emotional pain.

He had grown up thinking he was a nuisance.

He believed that and for a period of time he embraced it.

He lived to annoy others and he lived in that boredom.

Boredom.

That was until he texted Sienna.

And until she replied humorously.

It brought colour to his monotone world.

He enjoyed their conversations and he wouldn't trade the world for it.

He loved her.

They would struggle.

But he would always love her.

She was his addiction.