Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

"Hey Mia."

I screamed and turned around, clutching my chest. Shawn stood behind me, a small smile in his face. I sighed in relief and relaxed.

"Jesus Shawn you scared me."

"Where are you rushing to?"

"I was going to go...see Ethan..."

His smile fell and he leaned against the counter which is where we both were.

"No change huh?"

I shook my head no and he pulled me into a hug.

"I'm really sorry Mims. He'll wake up soon though. He has to!"

I didn't answer as I pulled out of the hug. We both stared at each other in silence and I could feel something radiating off of Shawn. A difference of some sort, a shift.

"What's going on Shawn?" I asked.

He smiled.

"I found her. I found my mate Mia. My werewolf mate? Jake introduced us. He told me he's known we were mates for the longest time but felt I wasn't ready to meet her yet. She's just like me, half werewolf and half vampire. She's such a beautiful and amazing creature. There's no one like her, except you of course."

I smiled at him.

"I'm happy for you Shawn."

"You wanna meet her?"

I frowned.

"Shawn I don't think it's a good idea for your werewolf mate to meet your vampire mate."

Before my sentence was even able to run through his mind a girl's voice echoed throughout the house. 

"Shawn where are you?"

I looked at him and he smiled.

"Kitchen baby."

Just then a girl appeared out of nowhere, making me jump.

"Hi. I'm Aubrey, Shawn's mate."

I looked her over. She looked nice, sweet. Her red hair looked like it was on fire and her blue eyes sparkled. I felt an overprotectiveness over Shawn then. I may not be able to feel the mate connection there but I cared about Shawn like he was my little brother. He was the one thing that saved Gale and I from dying in that hellhole and I’d be damned if I let some girl treat him like shit.

I reached forward, staring into Audrey’s eyes calculatingly. She shook my hand, smiling.

“You must be Mia, the Alpha Female. Shawn’s told me a lot about you. I already know you’re his vampire mate so no need to be afraid of any hostility. I’m okay with it.”

I pulled my hand away from hers and stared at her, looking her over. She looked sweet, charming even. She looked a lot like me too. Long hair, freckles splashed on her face. She was a lot taller than me though.

“Okay I’m sorry to embarrass you Shawn but I have to say what’s on my mind. Audrey I don’t know you or anything about you. Yes I am Shawn’s vampire mate but I have no feeling of the connection because I have my mate already. Shawn is only my mate because he received the gene from his father who was my vampire mate. But just because I don’t feel any connection does not mean that I don’t care about Shawn. He’s like a little brother to me and happens to be my son’s best friend. I can tell from the way he looks at you that he really cares about you but let me get one thing straight: If you hurt him or keep him from seeing this family there will be nothing anyone can do to stop me from injuring you or worse. Do you understand?”