Chapter XLVII: Jacob's Point of View

Start from the beginning

"It is confusing, since you are clearly not a boy," he said.

"Get out of my head," she shouted, shoving off the bike. I caught her around the waist. She was going to get herself in serious trouble soon. Stupid leeches-

"We would never hurt her," he said. She had a point about the mind reading thing, leech, I thought to him.

"What don't I know?" Bella said from behind Edward.

"Go wait by the bike," I whispered into Annie's ear. She turned and glared up at me, but listened anyways. At least she was listening instead of demanding her way.

"Must be a Swan trait," the bloodsucker said, his arms wrapped tight around Bella. I growled.

"Stay out of my head, leech."

"What don't I know?" Bella shouted.

"That the redhead has been back. She was leading us up and down the coast line. She attacked your sister, but their little seer leech didn't see that coming. And then his brother," I sneered at the term, "crossed the treaty line."

"It was no man's land!"

"Paul was within every right," I growled.

"Was anyone hurt?" Bella asked. Annie snorted behind me.

"Paul should've killed him," I growled at the parasite.

"There was no need," he said stiffly.

"Just like there was no need to tell her that some bloodsucker spent the entire weekend trying to get to her?" I spat. Bella began to hyperventilate. She should be afraid. "I think life threatening information like that is pretty important."

"I didn't want her to worry," he replied.

"She's back for me?" I could only imagine how disgustingly cold those hands were on her cheeks.

"Nothing is going to happen to you. We won't let her get to you."

"But you'll let it get her family, right? Ryanne's lucky to be alive," I said, knowing he would know what happened.

"I am well aware of that, thank you. It'd be easier for my sister if she wasn't around the wolves all the time."

"Around the Pack is the only place that she is safe!" I countered with a growl. A little hand touched my arm where my tricep joined my bicep.

"Are you alright, Rye?" Bella said, checking over her sister. "You don't even look hurt."

"I was attacked by a vampire, Bella. If Paul and Jake hadn't gotten there, I would've died. But thanks for your concern; it's really touching," Annie said, her voice soft but forceful.

"Can we just go?" She tugged a little on my arm.

"I'm sure your sister didn't mean it like that, Rye-Anne," the bloodsucker said.

"You wouldn't know, would you? It's not like you can see into her head. Now quit your rummaging and leave me alone. Did you receive an invitation?" she snapped, stepping in front of me.

"You're right, let's leave," I said, snaking an arm around her waist and hauling her back towards the bike.

"Jacob, please, I miss you," Bella said from behind me.

I sighed in exasperation. "Whenever you want to hang out with real, human people, you know where to find us," I said.

"Bella, let's go. The principal is on his way," Cullen said, trying to pull her back without hurting her. Annie slumped in my arms as the fight drained out of her. The last few weeks were taking their toll, but nothing like Bella's nightmares had.