The Fourth Side of the Triangle

Start from the beginning

“So then- where are we going?” she asks brightly.

“What happened to, ‘I have to finish some work’ and, ‘I’ve had a really long day’?”  Amy says, drawing out every word as James checks the clock on his phone yet again. Amy turns to face him.

“I didn’t give you this watch to ignore it,” she says exasperatedly, lifting his wrist so it is level with his eyes, “read the time Jamie.”

He makes a face and shoves his hand back into his pocket before turning to Becca.

“Who said you were invited anyway?” he asks in an offhand manner, whilst pretending not to watch as Amy twirls a strand of hair around a long finger.

"Whatever. I'm coming whether you like it or not. I need a stiff drink after today." Becca replies matter-of-factly, before striding out of the cafe and into the street. James and Amy take a moment to stare at their friends retreating back before raising their eyebrows at one another.

“She’s hopeless,” Amy decides as she links her arm through James’s as he leads her from their table. She pauses to shoot a flirtatious smile at the middle aged man behind the counter and James makes a face.

“She might be hopeless, but you are intolerable,” he mutters darkly in her ear, pulling his arm forcefully out of hers, a scowl finding its way onto his otherwise handsome face.

"What?" Amy asks, feigning a hurt expression, "he gives me free drinks."

"Intolerable," James repeats, "absolutely, completely intolerable."

"5 syllables, well done, I'm impressed. But that's 3 times you've used that word in your last 2 sentences. I know it’s hard for you, but do try and use some variation or conversation grows boring."

James watches her stalk ahead and out of the door. He takes a deep breath, sets his teeth firmly together- he should be used to her short temper and her blunt humour. He should be used to the fact that her comebacks often border on insulting; and for the most part he is. Just occasionally, when she catches him off guard, does he realise that it still has the ability to hurt him.

“Finally leaving then?” Becca asks when they eventually join her, narrowing their eyes against the harsh breeze. It’s a gloomy evening, even for the centre of the city where pollution levels are higher than anywhere else. The air feels muggy from the constant stream of cars, the sky a rather dull grey and as they stand at the edge of the pavement, the first hints of rain start to fall.

James manages to hail a taxi with little to no trouble- living in the centre of London for the majority of his life has taken its toll. He likes to think he has mastered the art of beating potential customers- Amy simply thinks he has a death wish. She has given up yelling words of warning at him and instead allows him to throw caution to the wind as he more or less throws himself in the path of an oncoming black cab. The driver gives him a cynical look, mutters something about, ‘disrespectful youths,’ and jabs his thumb towards the back seats as James flashes him a winning smile.

“Where are we even going?” Amy asks as the two girls clamber in after him.

“Can a man have no secrets?” James asks in mock offense, but stops as Becca kicks him in the shin. “You- you two are both harpies and I don’t know why I bother with you at all,” he tells them sincerely, rubbing at his leg. “It’s a bloody surprise okay? Just be patient for once.”

James makes a point of ignoring the two girls for the remainder of the journey. At some point Amy’s head meets his shoulder and his arm snakes protectively around her waist. He enjoys driving at night. There is something strangely peaceful about it and he is just about to settle down into the seat when the taxi driver blurts out-