The Fourth Side of the Triangle

Start from the beginning

Then there is Amabelle- she’s almost a year younger than Becca, but they had been in the same year at school. Amy, who has never worked a day in her entire life but thanks to her wealthy family, is still able to go out and buy expensive clothes and shoes whenever she wants. She also lives in a 2 bedroom flat (technically it is a 3 bedroom flat, but Amy claims that the spare room doesn't count), but the similarities stop there. Amy’s flat takes up the whole of the top floor of its building and has a large balcony where the girls like to sunbathe in the summer. The building itself has a lobby with doormen and bulky guards stationed by both front doors. However, the most impressive part of the flat is not the sheer size, but the main wall in the living area- the whole thing is made of a sturdy glass and it overlooks the entire city. It used to make Becca’s stomach flip over, but now she can see why it appeals so much to Amy; it is the perfect view to make you just... forget. There is something strangely peaceful about looking over London, down at the miniscule people and catching the glints of light as the sun bounces off the many cars. At night, it is beautiful; lights appear all over the city, so bright against the indigo sky.

She doesn’t live there alone and Becca is just about to carry on her train of thought, when Amy’s voice breaks through.

“James! Finally.

Becca turns and smiles at the approaching man, who raises his eyebrows in surprise as he sets eyes on her.

“Didn’t expect to see you here,” he says, sliding into the seat next to Amy, placing a rough kiss on her cheek and sling an arm around her shoulders as she tries to pull away, “you coming out with us tonight?”

“Wait-” Amy starts indignantly, “I didn’t-”

Becca cuts across her, trying not to feel offended by the outraged tone that has managed to find its way into Amy's voice.

“So that’s why you’re all dressed up,” she says with a growing smirk, “I did wonder.”

James seems to do a double take as he looks down at his friends’ attire for the first time since he entered the room.

“James, you’re blushing!” Becca exclaims after a moment.

“No,” comes the quick reply, “I’m not. It’s the wind outside; it’s suddenly got a bit chilly.” He clears his throat awkwardly. “You look great Aims. You... yeah. Really nice.”

“Oh J,” Amy says, pushing her coffee cup towards him, “you ready to go?”

James pulls his phone out of his jacket pocket and nods, swallowing the mouthful of the still warm drink as he does so.

“Is there a reason why you met here then?” Becca asks, somewhat drily, “Because I know you didn’t come here for the environment or the coffee, so is it now a meeting point for you lucky people with social lives? Or have you really just grown that fond of it?”

“Chill out,” James says, holding both hands up as if to fend her off, “we’re obviously not here to see you. And I’ll have you know that the coffee here is absolutely fine.”

“And as for people with a social life,” Amy cuts in, “you would have one as well, if you stopped working so bloody hard. You’ve only got yourself to blame.”

Becca scowls and stares at her friends as they rise to their feet.

“So what? You’re just going to leave me here?" 

Amy looks down at her as James helps her into her coat.

“You said you have work to finish,” she says airily. Becca makes a point of ignoring the other girl and simply scrambles to her feet so she can shrug on her jacket, grateful for its warmth.