Second Chance for Benji

Magsimula sa umpisa

Benji walked down the stairs, reminding himself to stand up straight, as he was prone to slouching after countless hours of sitting on the couch playing games with Copper. Smoothing his hair back, he walked into the kitchen and grabbed the kettle. Clearing his throat, he asked Kris in a deeper voice than he had anticipated, “What kind of tea do you like? I mean, sorry, got a frog in my throat, what tea would you like?”

Looking up from the comic books on the table, Kris said, “Do you have Earl Grey?”

“Yes, I do. Have you read The Walking Dead comics?”

“A few. I actually don’t care for the television show. Is that bad of me to say?”

Benji bit his tongue from cursing her out and throwing her out on the streets again. “Nah, nah, everyone’s entitled to their opinion.”

“It is so well done, no doubt, I just felt sad and afraid afterwards. The first episode was  good, but kind of disturbed me with that poor thing in the pasture, you know?”

“Right, yeah, that was really disturbing, I agree with you there. But the second is so much better. My mate and I were sitting there afterwards, wondering if that was it. But you should continue.” Benji placed the kettle on the stove and turned on the heat. He walked out to the main room and pulled out a chair for Kris.

“Thank you.” Kris took a seat and Benji pushed her in, a little more than he wanted to, for Kris let out a deep-throated “oomph,” as the edge of the table rammed into her stomach.

“Oh, sorry!” Benji wiggled the chair out a few inches, relieving the woman of her pain. “These floors can be a bit slippery.”

“It’s okay.” Kris waved him off before rubbing her bruised abdomen.

Benji took a seat beside her.

“Can I ask you a question?” Kris said, propping her elbow on the table and resting the side of her head on her balled fist.

“I guess, yeah.”

“Tell me about yourself? I mean, something about you.”

Laughing uncomfortably, Benji raised his eyebrows and squirmed in his chair. “Well, there’s not much.”

“I don’t believe that for a second!” Kris playfully knocked Benji in the shoulder before realising that they weren’t even acquaintances yet. “Sorry about that.”

“No, it’s all right, love. Anyway, I guess I’m an ultimate loser. But I’m trying harder not to be.”

Kris gave him a gentle smile that relaxed the tension in Benji’s shoulder. She looked upon him with a mixture of compassion and admiration. He seemed to be a shipwrecked soul that survived more hits than one man should take. His eyes seemed to have a fog of sadness over them, covering the brightness she knew once existed in them. His smile, as sweet as it was, quickly drew into an insecurity that only a hurt man retreated to. She didn’t know why, but she knew she wanted to. Slowly, her trembling ankles pushed herself up from her chair and she began leaning towards him, the breath in her lungs stopping halfway in her throat.

Sensing her nearing presence, Benji looked up, his eyes wide. He knew what she was after, he had seen it once before. His hands on the table pressed against the surface, raising his body to meet hers. It was only when they were a breath apart did he sit back down and turn away.

“I’m so sorry,” Kris apolosied, raking her fingers through her hair. “I am so, so sorry.” She made for the front door but Benji shoved the chair out from underneath him and snatched her arm.

“Don’t go.”

“Mr. Dore, that was so insane. I shouldn’t have, honestly. Can you let go of my arm?”

Before Benji could respond, the kettle whistled for his assistant. “Stay here, please.” He held up a commanding finger and zipped into the kitchen. He pulled the kettle off the stove and turned the heat off. He returned to Kris and stood in front of her, his chest rising and falling at an anxious pace.

“Listen, I also came back to ask you if you’re—if you like reading as much as you like writing?”

“Yes, I do,” Benji replied, thrown off by her inquiry.

“Would you read anything?”

“As long as it’s not exotic smut or graphic horror, yes.”

Kris nodded her head and opened her handbag. “Would you consider writing summaries for books? The books my company agrees to publish. We’ve got a section entirely made for book business, like publishing, editing, reviewing, all that.”

“Are you offering me a position?”

“Yes, at our company based in London. I mean, you can work a position in America, but, I thought this would work better for you. I mean, I’m still sort of your job agent.” Kris gave him an unsure smile. “Only if you want to. If you don’t, we’ve got a list of other people interested. I just wanted to ask you first.” She held out the business card, her eyes locked on Benji’s.

Keeping his eyes on her as well, he took the card and slipped it in his pocket. Without breaking the connection, he reached beside her and opened the door. He gave her a small smile, which she returned with a soft one. They didn’t say anything to each other, for to do so, would’ve cheapened the moment. Benji stood in the doorway and watched as she left. When he could no longer see her, he closed the door. He reached inside his pocket and pulled the card out. The address of the London publishing house was on the front and Kris’s name was underneath it along with, co-founder and operator.

Leaning against the wall, Benji closed his eyes. “I need a drink.” Quickly, he grabbed his jacket and left the house, his sights set on the White Horse.