Peeping Tom

"A subspecies!" Vlad shouted as he paced in his living room. His white Persian, Maddie, watched him pace the room with a questioning meow as she sat on the coffee table. "She thinks that Daniel and I are a subspecies!"

Vlad collapsed onto his couch with a heavy sigh. Hearing Maddie's meow, Vlad cracked an eye open and glanced down at her. She looked concerned for him as she tilted her head to the side. "I'm sorry, Maddie. This woman may be a bigger threat to me than I first thought. She is extremely observant and quite intelligent. I need to keep an eye on her," Vlad told Maddie the cat. He watched her use her paw to push the remote control closer to him with another meow. Vlad grinned widely. "You never cease to amaze me with your wonderful ideas, Maddie. Illegally spying on the Fentons is a wonderful show, but I think the cameras would be better suited at the Takahashi residence."

The Plasmius-inspired bug that was resting on the living room wall of the Fenton home quickly reactivated before flying out of the window of the home and across the street. The bug slipped in through an open window upstairs before flying through the seemingly empty house. Vlad frown at the video feed. Was no one home? His silent question was answered when he spotted the family having dinner in the kitchen. Vlad narrowed his eyes with a smirk. He planted his bug on the wall with a clear view of the family.

"How is school going kids?" Kimiko asked her children with a soft smile.

"Mr. Peters gave me detention because I had my skateboard on the ground. I wasn't even riding it!" the son complained before slumping in his seat with a deep frown.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Judai. Do you want me to see your teacher?" Kimiko suggested with a sympathetic look as she soothingly rubbed her son's shoulder.

"No way, mom! I can't have my MOM show up at my school just because I got a detention. Thanks, but no thanks. You'll totally ruin my reputation," Judai said matter-of-factly. 

"We're living in a time when getting detention is good and having your mom come to your school is grounds for social suicide. Reputation is EVERYTHING," Kagome said sarcastically with a roll of her eyes. Vlad couldn't help but nod along with what the girl was saying. He just didn't understand today's youth.

Kimiko smiled softly at her son before shaking her head. "Well, alright. I'll stay out of it. Just try not to get into any more trouble or the school will have to call me. Then I'll HAVE to go in."

"Yeah, mom."

Vlad watched the family eat their dinner peacefully for several more seconds until Kagome pulled her cellphone out to glance at it. Kimiko frowned. "Kagome, no phones at the table please."

"I know. I'm sorry, mama. Danny just texted me. He's going to see a movie. Can I go?" Kagome asked with a hopeful smile on her face. Kimiko frowned a bit.

"What is wrong with teenagers these days? They know that there are ghosts about and yet they still leave their homes late at night. What's even worse is that plenty of these young girls are putting their lives at danger for a boy. It's foolish and irresponsible. Don't you agree, Maddie?" Vlad commented as he gestured widely at his television. Maddie mewed in reply before curling up on his lap.

"I suppose it will be alright," Kimiko started. Immediately, Kagome got up from the table and ran out of the room. "Kagome!?"