Dying Day

Laura stepped back, losing her footing in the sand. She laughed,  realising she had drunk quite a bit now she was outside. Aidan grabbed her hand to steady her and inadvertently pulled her towards him.  Laura was against his body.  She looked up in to his dark eyes, suddenly sobering up. A wave of emotions crashed over her. Their evening must not end like this, she told herself, looking away and taking her phone from her pocket.

"I've got a signal.  I'm going to try Ricky." And with that,  she wandered off across the beach.

Ricky hadn’t stopped drinking since he'd come off stage.  He and Whitey were now back on the bus and putting the world to rights with a bottle of Jack Daniel; their conversation including copious amounts of swearing and gesticulating. It wasn't a pretty sight as Vijay and Peanut watched from a distance. They had been discussing Ricky's mood. Peanut explaining to Vijay that it was over Laura not coming with him for the weekend,  but not knowing anymore. A phone in the hoodie next to them began to vibrate.

"Ricky!  Rick! Your phone is ringing!" Peanut shouted down the bus.

"Well fucking answer it then," came the drunken reply as Ricky stood up and staggered towards him.

"It's Laura," Peanut said,  accepting the call, "Hi Laura, it's me, it's Peanut.  Ricky is coming. Oh, no he isn't, he's fallen over." Laura could hear laughing and then a load of shuffling before Ricky came on to the phone.

"Hi." His answer was short. It caught Laura off guard.

"Hello," she paused,  allowing Ricky to give a warmer greeting, but he didn't so she continued. "How did it go?" 

"Yeah good." Again, no more was offered.

"Great. Well I said I'd ring, so I have."  Laura continued.

"Yep." Laura rolled her eyes and huffed. He was not making this easy.

"Where are you now?" she continued,  hoping he'd snap out of this attitude he seemed to have.

"On the bus." No, he hadn’t.

"Ok. Well you obviously don't want to talk. I'm off to bed now." Laura began. She looked round to see how close Aidan was. She had walked further from him than she thought. There was no sound from the other end except for a heavy breath. She suddenly heard Whitey shout out his congratulations down the phone.

"You've told them then?" Laura had reached the water's edge and turned to watch Aidan, the flame in the darkening light visible as he lit a cigarette.

"Yeah I did." Laura listened as she heard the clinking of glass.

"Are you drinking?" she asked,  already knowing the answer.

"Yep." She was becoming tired with his lack of communication.

"Oh Ricky,  I give up. You're obviously in a mood..." she began.

"Do you blame me?" He took another drink.

"I'm going, good night Ricky."  But Laura didn't end the call. Instead she sighed, "I might be able to get back on Saturday." She could hear he was still there; she could hear his breathing on the other end of the line. "Goodnight Ricky."

"Laura!" there was a sudden desperation to Ricky's voice. "It would be great... if you could come back Saturday, but if you can't," he sighed deeply, "well, I understand."

"I don't want to be here, you know that. What we've seen today, I know what we can get done tomorrow. Then we'll finish off Saturday morning and be off by lunchtime," Laura explained, wanting to make sure that he understood how much she really wanted to be back home with him.