Mine For Curry

"Well perhaps Jamie would like to pop round to mine and make me one tonight because I can't be arsed!" Laura replied. She forced a sarcastic smile.

"I'll cook you one." He smiled back, "How's it going?" Chris asked, "Enjoy your weekend away?" Laura didn't realise he knew they'd been away.

"How do you know about that?" Laura asked curiously. Chris tapped his nose.

"I have ways!" he teased, "Besides, I asked Ricky out for Sunday lunch last week and he said you were going away."

"That would explain it. It was lovely thank you. Good to get away with just the two of us." Laura's smile changed as she thought about how much they'd enjoyed each others company, despite all that had happened.

"I thought you were meeting up with Ricky's mate?" He asked confused.

"That fell through at the last minute, but we went anyway. It was lovely though." Laura could see Chris looked distracted. "You been? To Edinburgh I mean?"

He smiled, "Yeah I have. Took a girlfriend of mine once. It's a nice place. Went to the Fringe Festival."

"I went to that with Aidan " she nodded, "Anyway, what are you here for?" Chris screwed his eyes up at her.

"Shopping." There was a sarcastic tone to his reply. Laura tutted at him.

"I know that, what for, your tea?" She looked in his basket. It was empty.

"Yeah, I'm just after a ready meal." He tried to hide the irony. Laura's mouth dropped.

"After telling me you can cook one from scratch in half an hour! Cheek!"

"A bit of a fuss when it's for one..."he hesitated,"Where's Ricky anyway?"

"Leeds. They had some rehearsal or other. He's back tomorrow to do a magazine photo shoot." Laura told him.

"You're on your own tonight then?"  Laura knew she could hardly deny the fact now she had told Chris Ricky was away.

"I am, but I've got the shopping to do then..." She couldn't think of anything to say next.

"Well I've got some shopping to do as well. I could get the stuff and make us both a curry at yours or mine,  I'm not fussed." He watched her expectantly. How could she say no? Laura smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, ok. Come round to mine and cook. Look where it got me last time I had curry at yours!" she said,  thinking of when she'd met Ricky at Chris'.

"Great, well I'll collect what I need and then come and find you. Ok?" He was already stepping away.

"Yeah,  I'll see you soon." Laura leant on to the trolley and continued on with her shopping.  She breathed out heavily wondering if she'd done the right thing. Finding herself next to the wine,  she put a bottle in the trolley; then picked up two more and carried on.  After getting some low alcohol beer for Chris that she knew he liked,  she found the final things she wanted and headed to the tills. Laura saw Chris coming towards her,  swinging his basket as he walked.

"You done?" he asked,  pointing towards a free till. Laura told Chris to go first,  which he did,  packing his things away in his bags. Having done his own,  Chris walked back around to help Laura unpack her trolley on to the conveyor belt. He piled up the fruit and vegetables whilst Laura put on tins and heavier things. Laura sensed he'd stopped loading the shopping.  Looking up, she saw the packet of vests in his hands.

"I don't think these would fit Ricky?" He said, holding the vests up. Laura took them from him, her mind racing as to what to say.

"They're for my friend Katie.  She's just had a baby. They're a present." Laura knew she was rambling so she looked away and placed them on the belt. Having no reason to disbelieve her, Chris carried on putting out the shopping, though Laura sensed his eyes upon her once again as if analysing what she had just said.