Making Plans

They sat opposite each other in a small Italian restaurant that they had found just off the Royal Mile.  It was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday night,  but neither of them had felt like living it up particularly. Ricky had suggested they get room service,  but Laura had insisted she didn't want to stay in looking at four walls for the evening.  At that moment in time,  Ricky would do what ever made her happy.

"Are you alright?" Ricky asked for the thousandth time. Laura simply smiled. "I feel like I'm to blame,  putting the idea in your head."

"Of course you aren't. We rushed. Got caught in the moment." Laura played with her fork on the table. "What scares me is how quickly we decided it would be a good idea. How willing we were to turn our whole world upside-down." Ricky took a drink,  contemplating his reply as he did.

"What does that tell you then?" he said putting his glass down. Laura watched him,  thinking what answer she was meant to give. She gave the one she wanted to give.

"We're both ready for children,  when it does happen."

They had both cried when the result had been negative, holding each other, sharing their disappointment. They had consoled themselves by promising to do the second test when Ricky came home on Tuesday from Leeds. But Laura had gone to the bathroom to get ready to go out for the evening,  promising she wouldn't drink,  just in case,  only to find her question had already been answered. A day early. The irony. The tears had begun again. 

Now she sat nursing a glass of wine,  safe in the knowledge that no harm was being done to any new life.

"We are," Ricky agreed, "and I think we should think about making plans."
Laura leant her arms on the table.

"What sort of plan?" She could see an excitement in his eyes and it tugged on the corner of her mouth. He leant forward too.

"Life plans." He rested his face in his palms. "Time we got serious." Laura leant away, but he grabbed her hand before she could get away. "Don't go stroppy on me. Look how we've both reacted today. We need to think about when we want it to happen." Laura let him hold her.

"I agree,  to some extent,  but," she hesitated," not tonight please. I've had enough emotion in the last few hours to last me a while."

"Ok,  fair enough. No more,  not tonight." Ricky pretended to zip his lips, then proceeded to look around the room.  Laura giggled at him. He unzipped his mouth. "At least you're smiling again!" Laura shrugged.

"No point being miserable I guess." She sipped her wine. "I feel fine again now.  I wonder what it was though."

"Might have been something you ate last night.  Or just a bug. At least your only eating something simple now," Ricky said as their food appeared.  Laura had gone for chicken,  as simply as she could find it on the menu.

Once they had eaten,  they took a stroll up towards the castle.

"I love this," Laura told Ricky, "just us." Ricky released her hand and put his arm around her shoulder as they walked.

"I don't like having to share you all the time." They walked on.

"But that's exactly what you'll have to do when there's a small person about." She looked across at him. She could see he was contemplating this.

"That doesn't count!" They had stopped to look out over the castle. "We preformed in there once," he told her.

"Is there anywhere you haven't preformed?" she asked in admiration. Ricky thought about it.

"I'm sure there is.  Just can't think where,"  Laura nudged him. "It was July,  but it was freezing,  all misty. Quite atmospheric being in the castle,  especially when it got dark." He paused, "Hollywood Bowl!"