Cheesecake

Laura looked around the room, not having a clue what had just happened. How had one piece of paper caused such an almighty fly in the ointment? Throwing back the duvet herself, she walked to the shower, collecting Ricky's wet towels as she did so. She turned on the control and stepped in to the warmth of the water, letting it drip down her face, before slowly wiping it away with her hand.

Getting dressed, she noticed her phone light flashing. She had a message.

Up for cheesecake?

It was Chris.

You must be a mind reader. I was only thinking about you this morning.

Send. She put her top on, pulling it down over her leggings. Grabbing her phone and the tray, she went down to the kitchen.

Cause you were m'darlin! Well you up for it?

Laura thought about his offer as she filled the dishwasher with the breakfast things. She didn't have a clue where Ricky had gone or even when he would be back. She really should stay and wait for him.

Ricky's home.

Was she using him as an excuse?

Bring him along, they might do a lactose intolerant cheesecake!

What the hell! Why should she hang around waiting for him? She agreed to meet Chris in half an hour. She'd leave Ricky a note.

Walking in to the cafe, Laura saw Chris immediately. He stood up to greet her, "Hiya, how's you?" he asked kissing her cheek.

"Confused would be one word. Pissed off another two." She took a seat opposite him as Chris looked behind her.

"What've you done with him? Chris was confused himself. " Where is he?"

"No idea. He just walked out about an hour ago." Laura shook her head and shrugged.

"What do you mean? Did you have an argument?" Chris kept looking behind as if Ricky was going to appear any moment.

"Well I didn't!" Laura wasn't being particularly helpful Chris felt.

"I know he thinks he's clever but even Ricky can't argue with himself." The confusion was not easing. Chris watched Laura as she picked up a menu. He could see how riled she was. Why did hers and Ricky's relationship have to be so dramatic? Even he had thought once they were living together each would be settled. Obviously not.

"Calm yourself down." His hand reached across to Laura's, taking it from the menu. "I thought you two were happy." Laura glanced down to where his hand held hers and back to his eyes.

"We are!" There was suspicion in her voice. Chris patted her hand and removed his own.

"There you go then. What's the problem?" he leant back in his chair.

"A wedding invitation!" she announced, "A poxy wedding invitation. He opened it and it was like a switch had been thrown. Boom!"

"He must have said something." Chris cast his eyes over the menu, still undecided as to which cheesecake he was going to have.

"Only that the bride must have said yes to being asked and then that he didn't want to talk about it. That was it. Nothing else!" She waved her hands in front of herself.

"When did he get back? Was he grumpy straight away." His attention was back to Laura now having decided on a butterscotch cheesecake.

"Last night. He feel straight to sleep then. This morning we...well we, you know." Her cheeks blushed, divulging such information to him. "But then afterwards, he just changed. He had a shower then he went." Laura rubbed her eyes. "I don't know what's got in to him!"