Not Satisfied

The discussion that Laura and Ricky had held in the restaurant played on Laura's mind for the next few days. Returning home that evening had proved to them both that there was absolutely nothing wrong with what they currently had. But Laura found herself sat biting her lip at work a few days later, knowing that before she had left for work, a catalogue she'd ordered from the internet had landed on their door mat and gone straight in to her bag for her and Ricky to look through later. He didn't know yet.

Packing up her papers and leaving a tidy desk as she always liked to do, Laura said her goodbyes and made her way out of the office and into the dreary afternoon that awaited her. Where was the sun the weather man had promised that morning? Feeling the need to think about how she would broach the subject of the catalogue with Ricky and thinking some new underwear would help the discussion along, she made her way down Oxford Street to see what she could find.

It was after six when she finally reached home. Opening the door, she was greeted by the smell of cooking. Sliding off her shoes, she quickly ran up to the bedroom to hide her purchases, shouting to Ricky that she was just getting changed out of her work clothes.

She had decided to leave the catalogue - which she'd had a sneaky peek at - in the lounge, underneath the TV listings magazine. Ricky was sure to move that tonight and find it. She was excited.

After carefully positioning the magazine, she made her way into the kitchen. "Something smells nice!" she said, kissing his cheek. She looked down into the frying pan.

"Fajitas!" Ricky told her proudly, "With..." he uncovered a bowl next to the pan, "homemade guacamole."

"Ooooh! Quite the little Jamie Oliver aren't you." Laura let go of him and went in search of a bottle of wine.

"Not a James Martin?" he sounded disappointed. Laura just raised her eyebrows at him. She sat at the breakfast bar and poured them both a drink. "That bad was it?" He said referring to her day.

"No, quite the opposite. Everything ran smoothly, no hiccups." She paused for affect, "And we've found out we're up for a radio award."

Ricky stopped stirring the pan and doing a little dance on his way around, he hugged her tightly. "Congratulations! It's times like this I wish you'd have stayed with me!"

"Ricky!" Laura had found a piece of pepper and was dipping into the guacamole, until Ricky covered it over again. "You've not heard you're up for one then?" He screwed his lips to one side, implying there really was no need for her to ask. "They're saving you for life-time achievement obviously." She saw the tea towel fly through the air and hit her.

"When your own girlfriend can't say anything nice about your radio broadcasting ability, you know you've got problems!" He went back sulkily to his pan.

"I'd give you one," she saw his expression change "AN AWARD I mean." Laura thought about the catalogue next door.

"I did get a phone call this morning though, from Craig. He wants to know if we can go to his one weekend."

Craig was Ricky's best friend and despite being together, on and off, admittedly for two years, Laura had never actually met him.

"Where does he want to meet?" Laura topped up both their glasses.

"Edinburgh," he said it quickly as if it was local. Laura almost choked on her drink.

"For the weekend?" she questioned.

"Well if you get the Friday off and we could fly up." He'd thought about it obviously.

"I'll try, but I'm a possible another award winning producer," she teased, "I can't go having days off willy nilly!" Ricky stuck his tongue out at her.