Weekend Away

Finishing as soon as she could, Laura headed straight from work to London City airport. To Ricky's annoyance, she hadn't been able to get time off work. But she was finished now and eager to get away. Laura took the Central Line to Bank, before the long trek through the tunnels to the DLR. Luckily, Ricky had made her pack sensibly for the trip, questioning what she put in her bag so it wasn't as heavy as it could have been; despite the fact she'd slipped a few more clothes in when he'd gone downstairs.

Like a child, Laura was ecstatic that she'd been able to sit in the front seat of the carriage of the DLR. Taking pleasure from the fact she felt like she was on a roller-coaster, Laura allowed herself a sly smile, excited by the fact that her and Ricky were going away for the weekend as well.

The carriage lurch from one side to the other, giving Laura a queasy feeling. Maybe this wasn't as fun as she thought, thinking she might possibly be sick at any moment. She thought of Ricky to take her mind off it.

It had been a while since they'd been able to get away with Ricky so often busy with the band and Laura intent on establishing a good reputation in her new job. The brochure lying around the kitchen had worked on Laura too. Ricky had sorted out when he could have a clear two weeks off and Laura had been able to book the same weeks. The destination of their holiday was still to be agreed. Perhaps they'd talk about it this weekend.

Eventually arriving at the airport feeling just a little better, Laura rang Ricky to find out exactly where she should meet him.

"Hi, I'm here, where are you?" Laura headed towards departures.

"I'm sat by the enquiries desk. But I've just had a phone call." Laura had sensed there was something wrong as soon as he'd started speaking. She automatically slowed her step waiting to hear more.

"What's up?" she asked, fearing the worst.

"Craig rang, his wife, Hattie, has had an accident, done something to her leg." Laura listened as she walked towards Ricky, seeing him in the distance as she entered the airport.

"Poor Hattie," Laura felt sorry for her, but then selfishly thought of herself. "What do you want to do? Hang on, I can see you. I'll be there in a second." She dodged the people milling around the concourse, reaching Ricky as he stood up and made his way towards her, his trademark cap pulled down low.

"Hiya, that's really upsetting news." She hugged him, after dropping her bag to the floor. "Do you know anymore details?" Ricky shook his head.

"Craig just rang to say they're waiting at the hospital and he doubts they'll be able to do anything tonight or tomorrow. He said we could pick up some keys and stay at his, but..." Laura was already agreeing with where Ricky was going.

"You can't put on people when they are ill. It wouldn't be fair." Laura looked around her as if some solution to appear. "What shall we do then?"

Ricky patted his rucksack. "Well we've got the plane tickets; seems pointless not to use them."

"We could try and book a hotel," Laura looked at her watch. "We've got time to find something surely, as long as there's not a big event going on, we'll be fine." Ricky gestured to the seats he'd just stood up from and they sat down. Taking his phone from his pocket, he began to Google a phone number.

"I'll try the place we've stayed in when we've been up there." Within moments Ricky had contacted the hotel, requested the best room they had and reminisced with the girl on reception about the last time he'd stayed there. Laura was dumbfounded.

"You are slick aren't you!" She pushed up his hat and kissed his cheek. "Must be why I love you. Ohhh!" she sat back with her hands on her lap. "I feel bad. Should I be excited when Hattie is in a hospital bed?"