Test

Laura stopped in the position she was in. Thoughts tumbled through her mind. "No," she muttered quietly, "No." She swung her legs round and sat up,  her eyes meeting Ricky's as he stood by the window holding the packet of biscuits.  Laura swallowed hard. "No," she said for a third time.

"Are you..." Ricky bit his lip not wanting to say anymore.

"Late? No I'm not." Her hand went to her mouth as she thought.  She waved it away. "I'm not."  She grabbed at her handbag at the bottom of the bed, scrabbling for her phone and her calendar app. "It was just before you went on tour..." She allowed the phone in her hand to fall into her lap.

"Four weeks ago,"Ricky calculated. He moved to sit next to her on the bed as steam was released from the kettle and the switch flicked off.

"Then no, I'm not late. Tomorrow,  I'm due tomorrow,"  she pointed at the calendar. "And besides... you don't get sick that quickly,  no you don't."  It was as if Laura was holding a conversation with herself; trying to convince herself it couldn't possibly be happening. She turned to look at him. "It's something I've eaten," she told him defiantly.

Ricky held up his hands to her, "Ok, I hear you. But,"  he was nervous to say anymore, "We ate the same thing this morning." His hand came down on her back, rubbing it gently. He could see the tears welling up in her eyes.

"We're careful though,  always careful." Her eyes fell to the ground. How could this be happening?  Laura had made sure she took her pill the same time every day. No deviation.

"You are with your pill..." he began and Laura knew what he meant. They'd discussed it at length.  But now it seemed stupid that 99% effective was enough for them if passion ever overcame sense. "That weekend when I came back off tour,  we didn't use..."  But he didn't need to say anymore,  the flood gate had opened and Laura was in tears. Ricky’s other arm encompassed her body,  drawing her nearer to him. "Hey, don't," he whispered, but it was no use. "Laura,  what are you actually crying for?"  he questioned.  Her noise halted momentarily,  watching him, confused by the question.

"What do you mean?"

Ricky wiped her cheek as he answered. "I mean what if you are pregnant? Why is that such a bad thing?"  Laura continued to snivel, computing what he'd just said.

"Well....it would mean....we haven't." Every sentence she tried to begin,  she couldn't find an ending to. "I don't know,"  she finally conceded. Ricky got up and knelt on the floor in front of her. "Oh no Ricky not now please." Realising how it must appear he shook his head.

"I'm not going to propose! Two knees on the ground, look." He pointed to the floor, "I want you to look at me. Laura,  look at me!" She brought her eyes up to his. "Listen to me. You listening?" Laura nodded. "You are the most important person in my life. If you are pregnant,  then I will be the happiest man alive right now. I mean it.  I want us to be together and a baby in the mix as well,  well," he shrugged, "a baby Ricky would just make us complete."

"Or Laura," she said,  a short laugh bursting out at his oversight of the other option.

"Just imagine how beautiful that would be." He smiled at her and Laura could not have felt more loved at that precise moment. "And imagine us, as parents." The thought hit Laura with a shock. Parents,  her and Ricky.

"We're jumping the gun here aren't we. I'm not even due until tomorrow," she said,  wiping her tears and sniffing.  Ricky leant and grabbed a tissue passing it to her.

"So if you're not,  well, you know how I feel when you are."  Laura couldn't help herself and placing both hands on his face she pulled him to her.