Chapter Twelve

~~Litahpooh~~~

Author: Cawell is welsh ( I believe) for cage, so enjoy and don't forget to comment and gasp in horror!

The moment he'd ripped her gown, Bird had oddly felt relief. Her heart had felt at ease at his cruelty, it was shocking and yes she was taken aback, this was the man hailed for being kind and honorable. And yet he'd gripped the edge of her simple gown, and torn it with ease, with a flash of stinging hate and delight in his eyes.

Was she so disturbed, that his cruelty was far more welcomed then his kindness? She shivered, he reached up and placed his knuckles brushed lightly against her throat. "Do you know you are the third person my brother has sent to me?" He asked this, his red eyed moving over her body, "He's last attempt was a free Damphir male," His eye returned to hers, "I'm still not quite sure where his body is." He opened his hand, and pressed his palm into her chest, his long fingers curling around her throat. "If my brother truly wished for the throne...he would simply kill me, wouldn't he?"

His question was rhetorical, and Bird it as such so she did not bother to answer. Answering such a question, would merely give him reason to harm her. She knew this well, and felt more comfort at knowing the ways of such a master. Once more she wondered at her sanity, as she stared into his dark-red eyes.

"Instead he sends...things, and people trying to buy into my assumed guilt," he removed his hand, and Bird felt she could breathe, but the tension has yet to be alleviated, "He desires Gwen," His solicitous smile seemed meant to imply something, though Bird knew not until he'd spoke it aloud, "If he promised you love, I am saddened to inform you he has already given his heart to another...that person, is my fiancé." He seemed nearly ecstatic at telling her that news.

Bird wondered at the nobility then, their desire of taking things from each other seemed far more aggressive than that of a poor person. Her shivering had stopped, and she decided that speaking at least once would not harm her, and if it did she would at least know how far her new master could be pushed. "D-do you love her?" Her voice was soft, yet it still seemed to surprise him that she had one.

He stared at her, his lashes lowering as if to hide his minds workings from her, after a beat of silence, "No... I do not," Meeting her gaze he smiled humorlessly, "Does my coldness offend you."

In answer, Bird lifted her hand and pulled her gown further down, removing the grown fully she stepped out of it. Turning her back to him, she rolled it up and walked over to the fire place. Loosing things one loved, she was used to. Deception, and hidden truths she was also used to. Her eyes focused on the flickering lights, whether she succeeded in her mission, or failed seemed useless in this moment, but she felt her steadiness here in this cold but large library.

She tossed her gown into her the fire, and turning in just her chemise she faced her new master with calm expression, and small smile. "I am merely your slave, I cannot judge you."

**

He hated her.

Her calm exterior, her eyes that deep brown and steady color. Not affected by his previous cruelty, they held nothing but mild inquiry, as if his show so far had been nothing more than tantrum thrown by a child. All the things he'd done so far to hold on to the throne, simply for revenge. Talon wanted to rip her steady eyes out, and watch them weep in his hands.

He grinded his teeth, how many years had it been since he'd kneeled next to his mother's bed and watched her gasp, and choke on blood before he entire body had stilled. Since that day, he'd swore to distract others from the gaining the throne, though he himself held no desire for it.