Chapter Three

Author: Here you guys go, the lovely dark update of Crimson Bird. Comment, and vote and most importantly, ENJOY!!

We stopped at the refreshment table, as Stacia had smelled the bake lemon cookies and had eagerly dragged me behind her to the table. Taking a slow bite of one of them, she closed her eyes in bliss, "Oh my, that is good." She gave me a hard look, "Are you sure you can't convince your mistress chef to come to my kitchen?"

I laughed, shaking my head, "No, trust me I've tried my best," reaching out I grabbed one for myself, "It's no use, the man has been thoroughly bought, and paid for," taking a bite and chewing, I thoughtfully said, "Now...maybe if you offer him the tailor for Lady Creighton," Seeing Stacia excited look I raised a hand, "He might, might be interested in your offer."

"Mrs. Bird."

Hearing my name, I half turned, still slightly laughing at the look on my dear friends face, seeing it was one of the servants I lost my smile, "Yes, geofrey?"

"Lord Wellings has summoned you to the billiards room." Geofrey his eyes averted from mine.

Stacia and I shared a look, it wasn't often that I was summoned during a fete or ball...often Mistress and Master alike kept far away from me, as if to cement that I wasn't an accepted Damphir in their family.

"Did he say why he wishes for her presence?" Stacia interjected, seemingly as loathed to let me, as I was to go.

Geofrey shook his head, his eyes lifted the mist color weary, "Please, Miss... he summons you."

Sighing after a moment, I laid a gently hand on my friend's forearm, "It seems our meeting is to be a short affair."

"It isn't fair," "Stacia complained, patting my hand before she released me with a sigh, "Well...I will occupy my time ingesting a horrendous mount of these lemon cookies dear."

I chuckled, as I turned to follow Geofrey from the ball room. I hadn't bothered with a mask, and as I headed down the hallway I felt a sudden urge to cover my face.

As the marble flooring felt cooler in the darker parts of the house, I shivered in reaction to my bare feet touching it. Geofrey stopped in front of a large doors, and pulled one side open. A tail of smoke escaped, the scent of cigars, brandy and masculinity quickly following behind.

Feeling a heavy sense of forebode I straightened my shoulders, and entered the room. Geofrey following behind, and shut the door.

The room was good sized, and seven card tables had been positioned well. I could not help taking in the details, of refreshments and easy to reach lighters.

Men were seated at different tables, enjoying games of whist and poker. Seeing the crowd of men standing around a table in the center, and seeing the tawny hair of my Master I walked over towards him. Geofrey quickly moving ahead of me, he leaned down and whispered in Masters ear.

"She's here? Well then, bring her over." My master slurred the words, and I feared he'd already drank far more brandy then needed.

Walking up to his side, I could feel the heavy gaze of the other lords and nobles standing around. It was discomfiting, lowering my gaze I spoke, "You called for me, Master?"

He nodded, slapping a hand down, "Yes...Bird," He pointed to the man who sat across from, "Lord Patikson has offered to allow me another hand at poker, but! I do not have anything worthy to offer..."

Bird looked at the table, and held back her own gasp when she realized her how much her Master must've had betted, and how much he was soon to loose. Her mistress had made it very clear, that she did not like Master Welling Gambling.