Chapter Twenty-four

Fitzwilliam watched Bird run from the yard. Turning his angry gaze to Talon, he held himself back from his wish to murder his elder brother in that moment.

Meanwhile, Talon let out a sigh and said with feigned annoyance, "It seems I'm left with repairing that which you've broken." He sent Fitzwilliam a knowing gaze, "As it seems I will continue doing once I'm king."

With that, he gave his brother a mocking nod, before he walked into the brick house, leaving Fitzwilliam to curse his fate and the words he'd spoken in that moment.

Stopping outside of Bird's room, Talon tried to form a plan of action. He hadn't thought he'd feel even a drop of guilt, but he now stood outside of her chamber and stared at her back, unsure of what to do, or what to say.

"Pigeon," he called to her, stepping into her chamber. "It seems my brother does not hold you in such high esteem, as you may have hoped."

She didn't say anything; she didn't even move to his taunting.

Curious, he walked towards her. "Really, dear? It isn't becoming to mope. Like I said before, it is those whom we believe to love us who—" Coming around, he stopped when he saw her face. It was blank, nothing laid on it. Her eyes were empty, as she stared at nothing. "Pigeon? Bird!"

She didn't react to him calling her. Panicked, he reached out his hands, grabbing her arms. "Pigeon!"

He shook her and her body fell forward as her eyes rolled back and she collapsed into his arms. Still, her skin beaded with sweat, her breathing heavy.

"Bird!" Shaking her, he felt his panic grow as she still hadn't responded.

Realizing something was seriously wrong, Talon picked her up, calling for his valet to summon the doctor. Running from Bird's private chamber, he held her close to his chest.

The house erupted into movement as those who'd served the sire for so long found themselves running up and down the stairs as he barked orders, each order expected to be completed as soon as it was spoken.

The royal doctor arrived just in time to see two maids avoid crashing into each other in the nick of time. He frowned, handing his bag over to the disturbed looking butler. "Where is the patient?"

"Above, sir," the butler answered and quickly led the way up the stairs, towards the upper floors. Entering the chamber where he found the crown prince sitting by the bedside sans cravat and coat, his eyes were focused on the person laying on the bed with frightening focus.

"Sire, Doctor Bodin is here to see—"

"Come," the crown prince ordered sharply. Bodin took his bag from the butler and quickly walked over to the bed.

He paused when he saw the young woman who was panting, her skin covered in a sheen of sweat. Feeling that it might be worse than he'd thought, he turned towards the crown prince, "Sire, would you allow me a moment so I may make a diagnosis?"

He shivered at the cold red eyes that turned to him. He'd heard how kind and charitable the crown prince was lauded to be. Yet, this man who stood before him appeared to be made of fire and ice.

After a beat of silence, the crown prince gave a short nod. Turning, he left the chamber. Releasing a relieved sigh, Bodin turned his attention to the female, which he supposed was the rumored mistress to the crown prince.

Occupying the drawing room, Talon walked back and forth, his hands clasped behind his back. His valet and butler stood watch. All he could feel was a strange emptiness and panic that wouldn't abate. As he continued his back and forth march, he couldn't stop the fear that kept raising its ugly head before he viciously shoved it back down.