Chapter four

Author: How is it so far? Is it good, and amazing...or just alright? Let me know, comment, vote and share...most importantly, ENJOY!!

Running through the hallways, Bird quickly pulled the strings tighter on her gown. She'd over slept, not only had she over slept but she'd managed to get a hefty amount of dirt all over herself, and as she shared the washing area with other's she'd had to wait.

Arriving at the door that led to the dining room, she took a deep breath and dawned an expression of calm before entering briskly.

"HOW COULD YOU!?"

She paused in the doorway, her eyes widening at the sight of her Master being smacked by her mistress, whose red-tear stricken face jerked towards her, before she turned and faced her pale face husband, "I told you to never gamble again, but...but! You lied, and did it anyway, and now you've lost my father's home to a knave! Are you happy now?!"

She asked hysterically, "Now even my father will know you are gambling wastrel!"

Her rage didn't end there she turned her reddened eyes on Bird, who quickly lowered her eyes taking on submissive demeanor, "You-!" Bird never knew such a word could hold such contempt, "GET OUT!"

Her mistress nearly shrieked, reaching over she picked up one of the porcelain plates and threw it at Bird, who could only let it hit her in the side. She bit her lips keeping from screaming as the plate broke to pieces against her side, she could feel when a piece lodges in her side.

She reached up, holding back the cry as she felt the piece and efficient yet painfully she pulled it out.

"Go to that wastrel!" Her mistress commanded, turning her hate field gaze back to her husband, "Atleast one thing good come from this." She spat before she stormed out of the room leaving the Master with his lowered, and Bird who'd had of yet made a move to leave. Her focus on preparing the room to be cleaned by the servants.

"Bird..."

Bird lifted her head hearing her mast call her name, he didn't turn to look at her. "It seems have erred in my judgement...it...there is nothing I can do, do as your mistress has said." He didn't speak again, and quickly left the room.

Bird stared at the broken dishes, and plates and food that covered the floor and wondered if this was a representation of her life, now and forever.

Ignoring the sting of pain she crouched down and started cleaning the mess, the least she could do before they cast her from the grounds was to straighten up. She'd learned that being neat brought one a form of satisfaction, which was hard to describe. A small pleasure in the life of longevity and useless hopes.

**

"The carriage is here."

Bird, who'd been sitting on her cot that was situated in a room off the kitchen, glanced up. It had only taken her a pitiful twenty minutes to pack up all her belongings.  The mistress had sent one of the servants from the upper floors to retrieve the dresses, she'd given bird. Only leaving her two old gowns. Bird hadn't argued, what was the point. She'd grown use to her Mistress ways, she glanced at the clock on the wall. "It is earlier then prescribed," She said, her new master had sent a card saying he'd been arriving at two.

Thomas, the stiff upper lipped Butler merely coughed, and repeated, "Your ride awaits." Before her turned and left, Bird watched him go before she turned her attention back to the desk that held her single valise, a handy down from another servant.

Standing up, Bird walked over to the desk and placed a delicate hand on top, sighing after a moment of thought she grabbed the handle and made her way from the room, through the kitchen and towards the front foor.

She was taken aback when she saw the other servants in the hallway, their eyes were red and some walked forward saying goodbye and wishing her happiness somewhere else.

She was surprised at their well wishes, and seeming affection of her.

"Miss," She paused turning to look at the young Gepfrey, "I just wanted to tell you...I thank ye for teaching my letters, I'll keep practicing." He said, his young face so serious.

She swallowed the feeling of sadness that welled in her chest, and simply nodded. Before she faced forward, her feet bare barely made a sound as she walked past Thomas who held the door open, the sun at first blinded her sight. Before it cleared and she stared down below, a black Carriage with golden 'f'and 'p' carved in the side, she felt fear rush through her but with no choice but t move forward she did. She lifted the edge of her skirt as she descended the stairs. She wondered silently, how long it'd been since she'd stepped past the boundary of the front door.

Arriving at the bottome, the driver quickly jumped down and opened the door helping her enter it. The dark intereior was soft, but disconcerting as she wasn't used to it.

It felt akin to a coffin, once the door shut she rushed to the window letting her valaise fall at her feet, she moved the curtains and stared at those she'd worked with, and who'd she'd helped and who'd helped her and felt a stone hit her in the stomach when the driver gave the signal and the team slowly pulled away.

Eventually as the team moved as a good pace away from the Wellings property she couldn't see the mansion any longer, and she closed the curtain. Laying down her head, she felt her eyes slowly close, she began to drift off. Her exhaustion taking the best of her.

She was unsure of what the future held for her, but she had learned long ago that one couldn't control one's fate, one could merely face at one's best ability.

**

Patikson leaned against the desk, which Fitzwilliam was currently sitting at writing letters. He played with a snowball in his hands, but the inside didn't contain a playfull snowman, but the raunchy depiction of two lovers in an embrace.

"So why the women?" he asked, setting the snow globe down, his green eyes now focused on Fitzwilliam, "You've no need for another Damphir." He said tis glancing at the young blonde woman seated in the corner reading, "And you've no hate for the Welling's like I do, so why the girl."

Fitzwilliam lifted amused eyes to Patikson's face, "I've many reasons. None of which you need worry about, just know that you have paid your debt to me."

Patikson frowned, "And glad I am of that." He pushed away from the desk, "I grew sorely tired of hearing you lament the loss of your horse."

"Well,"Fitzwilliam said standing, "You've brought me more than just a mere horse, you my dear friend," He said laying a hand on Patikson's shoulder, "Have brought me a key to a kingdom."

extuag