Chapter Two

As the day drew to a close, and the spring night air filled with the sounds of lightening bugs, and cricket sounds. I stood near the tall balcony door, far from those who were laughing and making merry the party had just begun.

The servants walked here and there presenting appetizers and wine to the high class guest. Their jaunty masks firmly in place, as the theme for this ball was 'Le Masquerade' I myself had been give one of mistress old gown, a thick black velvet that was lined with silver and white thread, pearls lined the bottom and neck line.

A silver cord was tied around my hip, and as usual  I was bare foot as it was against the customs to give an unmarked Damphir shoes.

I had long ago learned to ignore the cold of the floor against my flat feet.

I wore a mask, that of a grinning witch, My hair had been coiled and raised high and pinned to my head.

The Wellings family would not wish for outsiders to know that they couldn't. or wouldn't afford their third new clothes.

"Birdy," Hearing my name called I turned to see Stacia, another Damphir walking towards me...or more so waddle. I turned to face her, a gentle smile coming to my lips.

"They've finally allowed you out amongst the living," I teased.

Stacia shot me a glare, as she reached out taking the entire trey from one of the passing servants. "Don't laugh, it took me and my two other sisters to convince them to let me come."

Stacia was the Damphir to two male vampires, who were known as the king's twin swords. The had also been rumored to be lovers, until Stacia was revealed to the public. She had been bought by Luciens father when she was a child, he was known ostensibly by many as the light sword for his nearly white hair, and glacial manner.

She, unlike myself was loved and cared for. She was also marked and wearing shoes, her tall thin frame and short curly brownish hair, made her light brown skin and freckles even more adorable in my opinion, but her temper was definitely a very fierce dragon.

"Well, nonetheless I am glad you came," I reach out, and take her hand that isn't occupied with sweeping sweats into her mouth, "It...it has been a hard day."

I lower my eyes, only Stacia knows of my inner pain and helplessness. She would be the only one who wouldn't way me down with pity, but support me with calm, steady love.

She tightened her hold on my hand, and grimaced, "It isn't right how they treat you," She turned her head sharply, her eyes narrowed on my laughing master and mistress, "I am eager to see them dead, so that you may be released."

I scoffed, shaking my head in amusement, "Only to later be sold to one even crueler, " I shook my head, releasing her hand to smooth the wrinkles that were not there, "I am content knowing what is to come, and I; unlike you, are not a beauty that captures a vampire attention...or at least who are kind, and attentive."

**

Stacia couldn't help but let her mouth gape open as she stared at her dear friend. They had been raised by the same teacher, during the young days. On how to serve their perspective owners, and through the entire process Stacia had known one thing.

Birdy was beautiful, she was the kind of little girl that everyone wanted to pick up and carry around. With dark chocolate eyes, that seemed to see and capture everything, her chubby baby fat had thinned and lengthen. The older girls body wasn't filled out yet, but it promised gentle curves and rolling hips that mens hands often itched to touch.

Her bearing was that of queen, and her lovely hair was so black that it appeared violet in most light. Her skin was golden, as her mother had been of southern background. Descended from royal Damphirs of Egypt.

She let her teeth click, as she forced her mouth to close. She fired another death glare at the Wellings, the vampire couple were blatantly ignoring the laws, and no one had dared accused them of it.

She knew why, the Wellings supported many political top dogs and she also knew they were in cahoots with the crowned prince. She shook her head, she had let Birdy believe that her treatment was norm, as it saved the young women the depression of knowing that she was in truth being treated differently...cruelly even,

Stacia cursed her powerlessness, so she said instead, "Indeed...would you like take a turn about the room with me, I feel as if the children will run out of me any day now."

Birdy chuckled, reaching and taking her arm, "Well, please urge them to wait till they are home, for I would hate to have to clean up the after birth."

"Ugh, do not remind me of the mess please..." Stacia mournfully begged as the two women walked along the outside of the wall.

**

Lord Wellings was currently sweating, as he pulled at his intricately tied cravat. His left hand, tapped a beat out against the cloth covered table, as he stared this cards.

Reaching for his glass, he quickly quaffed down the rest of his good brandy, wishing the hand he was staring at would change, but instead despite his fervent wishes they remained the same. He laid them faced down, "Fold."

The man that sat across from him, cold faced and dark featured merely smirked as with an elegant twist of his wrist he laid his cards down, "Full house..." He drawled, the group of men standing around the table some holding cigars others, leaning forward to stare at the cards let out a cheer.

While those seated groaned, as they watched the man reached forward and starting pulling the pile of bills, chips and few slips of leases towards him.

"Wait!" Wellings eyes flickered as he met the dark gaze of the man seated across from, "Give me a chance to change my luck...Orias," He corrected himself seeing the flash in the dark enigmatic eyes, "Lord Patikson."

Patikson stared at the sweating Wellings, before he leaned back, he past the cards over to a young faced Mister Compton, the son of a knighted gentry, "I will allow another, but...my dear Wellings...what's do you have to offer me?" He motioned to the pile, his words purposely insulting, "Aside from this very manor, there is nothing more you could bet."

"Well..." a voice cut in, Patikson glanced over his shoulder at his longtime friend Fitzwilliam, the third prince of the royal family. Fitz lifted the edge of his mask, his dark red eyes mischevious, "Wellings...don't you have a damphir that you could offer up?"

"What?" Wellings eyes widened, "How do you know of her?" he asked, something crossing his face, that Patickson was sure his wife wouldn't be happy to see.

Fitzwilliam shrugged, the corner of his eyes crinkling, "Chance,well..." He said motioning to the pile on the table, "Are you going to bet her or not?"

Wellings lips pressed together so hard that Patikson was sure, the man was piercing them with his teeth, to keep from throwing a fit. Swallowing, he motioned over a servant and whispered something to them, done he pulled back and waved the servant off.

Patikson leaned back, and motioned for Fitzwilliam to lower his head, through his tightly gritted teeth, "What are you doing?"

"Getting something out of your little tantrum for revenge."

Insulted Patikson jerked his eyes up, to glared at Fitzwillam, "What do you mean by 'tantrum'?!"

Fitz laughed, pulling away he laid a hand on his friend's shoulder, "You'll figure out friend." He patted once, before lowering his mask and stepping back.

Patikson thoroughly confused, sent him an odd look before returning his attention to the table, to watch the young-buck next to him shuffle the cards.

To Be Continued...