•C h a p t e r S i x t e e n•

"Fate whispers to the wolf; 'you cannot withstand the storm' and the wolf whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

C h a l l e n g i n g T h e A l p h a

C h a p t e r S i x t e e n

///

"Maddison, riddle me this, the haunt that follows you in your dreams, something that will never let you leave, you bare your soul for one to give, it's the darkness that lies within, it's your gift and your curse, but it will show you no remorse."

I stare at Jay in bewilderment. "What?" I ask completely confused.

"Answer the riddle, or else," Jay says with a devilish smirk. That same smirk haunted my dreams for as long as I can remember.

"Jay, stop with the games! I don't know the answer to your riddle." I snap due to my nerves.

Jay snickers and backs away from me. "Answer it or else your friend will pay."

Rowan? What does Rowan have to do with anything? "Rowan?" I ask with narrowed eyes.

"No, not Rowan. Lively, your new friend." Jay says with a grin. How can he be grinning when he is being so dark?

I am taken back by his threat. Lively isn't my favorite person but I could never be responsible for her getting hurt!

I begin to analyze the riddle. What haunts me in my dreams? Jay obviously.

Something that will never let me leave? Jay, once again.

I bare my soul for one to give? Who do I bare my soul to?

My gift and curse would be Jay. The answer is him!

"You, you're the answer." I exclaim with wide eyes.

Jay smirks and nods. "Very good, I have one more for you," Jay pauses and walks to the center of the room. "It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills. It comes first and follows after, ends life and kills laughter."

I stare at him with an open mouth. That's not even a riddle! There is no answer. I try my best to focus on his riddle but can't focus at all. The fear courses through my veins.

"I-i," I trail off with my head bowed.

"You don't know?" Jay asks. I don't even need to see him to know that he is smirking.

"No." I defeatedly whisper.

"Darkness." With that, the small light that allowed me to see Jay vanishes and we are left in complete darkness. My werewolf vision isn't even strong enough to see in this dark room.

"Jay, turn on the lights." I whisper nervously. I can't hear, nor see him. I don't even smell him.It's almost as if someone robbed me of my senses. I begin to full-fledged panic. "Jay!" I cry out desperately.

His daunting silence makes my blood run cold as I slowly find my mind shutting down and my eyes dropping. Something is terribly wrong, I can't do this, I can't stay awake. I find my body swaying and suddenly I am slipped into a darkness that will take me to my dreams, my escape.

***

I hear a loud beeping by my side. It's rather annoying and has me peeling my eyes open only to blink them quickly. The bright light blinds me for a moment, I slowly allow my eyes to adjust to the harsh light.

Once my eyes adjust I look around the room I am. It's unfamiliar but appears to be a hospital room. The bed sheets are pure white, there are monitors beside me which have writing and a beeping. There's a window to my left that allows the sun to illuminate the room. The walls are white and the floor is tile. There are two doors, an exit, and a bathroom.

I suddenly hear voices outside the door. I am relieved that my senses have returned to me.

"She is lucky alpha, you almost killed her." An older voice scolds.

"Watch it Lerold, I am your alpha, what I do with that girl is my concern, nobody else." Jay's cold voice snaps.

"Alpha, I mean no disrespect but the girl nearly lost her wolf, you stole her senses from her! That is life-threatening for a wolf." The man named Lerold states.

I hear a deep sigh before an annoyed sigh. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"She's awake." Lerold says, blowing my cover. Thanks, Lerold.

The door opens and in walks two males with neutral looks on their faces.

"Hello, young one." Lerold says with a small smile. Lerold looks about thirty but he is probably much older due to werewolf aging.

"Hi." I croak out.

Lerold smiles softly at me before walking into the bathroom for a few moments. Jay stares at me long and hard. His eyes don't hold any emotions but the way his jaw clenches I know he isn't happy and is overthinking things. Lerold returns with a plastic cup of water and offers it to me, which I gratefully take and gulp down. The cold liquid clears up my throat instantly.

"Jay, what happened?" I ask after a few minutes of silence.

"Well, I took your senses away because you didn't answer my riddle correctly. I told you there would be consquences." Jay states nonchalantly.

I want to scream at him. Punch him, kick him, spit in his face. I want to hurt him. How can he be so nonchalant about this! "It was a stupid riddle! This nearly cost me my life!" I shout.

Jay frowns deeply before smirking wickedly. "What do you think would happen in an actual game? You would have died, your actions always have consquences, always. In this case, death was the consquence. Somehow, you cheated death and that's a problem."

///

Okay, bad chapter I know! I am sorry that it's short but I wanted to update for you guys! More of you wanted shorter and more frequent chapters!

Well, Jay is kind of a d*ck. I kinda hate him, and I created him. Logic Jordan, very logical.

OMG!!! CTA is 161 in werewolf! THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU ALL ARE SO AMAZING!

GOAL: 100

Please vote and comment :)