Chapter Twenty-Six: Mark

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Monday, October 31st
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

I walked into English and could see Jack was already sitting next to Bob and Wade who were laughing along with him, it was nice to see him being a lot less of a grump. I walked down and sat beside him and he turned to me and waved.

"Hi Jack." I laughed a little as I returned the gesture. It was amazing how bright he could make my world look and feel. He was clearly something out of the ordinary and I loved it more than anything else.

When class started, we were handed books. I looked at the hard cover and turned my head to Jack who already looked like he didn't want to read it. "This book is so long."

"You don't have to read the whole thing." The teacher explained to him before she walked back up to the front of the room and spoke. Mrs. Spence continued her lesson at the front of the room. "I've grouped you up a little, and you're going to be working on a little bit of a project for this book."

So she listed off the group names, and thankfully I was with Jack and two other kids that were named Arin and Dan, I had no idea who they were and I only knew where to go when they approached Jack.

"Alright? So now let me tell you your tasks." Mrs. Spence continued. "You will chose one of the tales and one person will narrate it while the others act it out. I will leave all decisions to you guys, but you will have class time to work on it. Also only one group can do a tale, so you better chose quickly."

"Alright, alright." Dan spoke with a smile. "Hey Jack, haven't talked to you in a while."

"And I didn't miss you." Jack said coldly. I almost entirely forgot that this was how he acted around people he didn't know very well. I guess these two people were on that list. I nudged him with my leg and caught his eye. He let out a sigh and looked at the book's table of contents.

"Who's going to read for the narration?" Arin asked.

"I think Mark should do it." Jack turned to me. "He has the voice for it, I certainly don't."

"Well, I don't know about -"

"Yeah he really does!" Dan laughed. "I think Mark should narrate."

"So it's settled." Arin added. "What tale are we going to do?"

"Well I mean the story of Revenge sounds pretty cool." Dan said. "I like it."

"We can do that." I said. "Sounds fine to me. Go tell Mrs. Spence."

I watched Dan and Arin walk up to the teacher and tell them what we were doing. I turned to Jack who was running his finger on the wooden table's patterns. "What's the matter, love?"

"Hm?" Jack turned his head to me. "Oh. Nothing."

"You're not upset? You don't seem too interested in anything that's going on around you." I said.

"It's just how I act." Jack shrugged. "You should know that from experience."

"You really shouldn't act that way. You know they don't mean any harm." I sighed, I really wanted Jack to be able to get along with everyone because I don't think acting this way made him very happy.

"Doesn't matter. I'm not taking the risk." Jack said, rolling his eyes. "Hell, you're lucky I took the risk with you."

I stopped there, knowing that I would never get to a point beyond that and anything I did would make matters worse. When the two came back with confirmation that we had our tale, we began to work on who would be who.