Chapter Twenty-Four: Mark

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Sunday, October 30th
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

I was cleaning the table when my father spoke up. "So Mark," I turned to him. "Jack, what's uh, going on with you two? You seem to be spending a lot of time with one another."

"Is there a problem with that?" I asked.

"Look I know how you feel when it comes to dating so I was just wondering if there was any ties between you and him in that area." My father tried to avoid particular words as much as possible, I just don't think he could stomach their harsh reality.

"What? With that boy?" My mother spoke. "Oh no. No, no. No way."

"What? What's the matter with him?" I asked, instantly becoming defensive. I really cared about Jack and I didn't appreciate her tone. 

"You can do so much better than that boy. There are things that are wrong with him." She told me, she refused to make eye contact with me and she kept her voice hushed but it was still insulting. "His mother told us things that I think you should consider. After all. It may be more work that you want to be with this kid."

"What are you talking about? What does it matter what happened in the past?" I asked. I was beginning to become irritated. I saw nothing wrong with Jack.

"Mark we just think he may be more than you can handle." My father put a hand on my shoulder and I pushed him down. "Don't get me wrong, I really like Jack."

"But you don't, do you?" I turned to my mother. Glaring at her.

"Let me finish," my father sighed so that I never got an answer. "We think that with your past.. issues we think that you need to focus on yourself."

"Ugh, stop dodging around it! Just fucking say it!" I shouted and my parents stood in shock, I never swore or shouted at them. "Just say it! I know what it is so there's no problem in just saying it!"

"Mark don't you dare cuss or raise your voice to us." My father huffed. "We think that you should work on your own problems. You need to have to have stopped cutting yourself before you can help someone like him!"

"There's nothing wrong with him! You're saying this because everything in your life has always been perfect!" I paused and took a deep breath, my voice calming. "Except for me."

"Mark, come on now." My father sighed. "You know that's not true and we love you very much."

"Then why can't you just support my decisions instead of acting like this about it!" I huffed.

"You are acting like a child!" My mother snapped at me. "Grow up, Mark! Life doesn't always go your way. It's about time you've learned that.."

"Life might not always go my way but you don't control that." I said condescendingly to them. "I can do whatever and be with whoever I want."

"Mark you don't know what you're getting yourself into. You're just confused." My mother sighed.

"You're only saying that because he's a guy and you're really hoping I've changed my mind about being gay." I huffed. "I really like Jack, flaws and all! You just don't understand him like I do!"

My eyes wandered over to the doorway and I could see Jack peeking his head in a little bit. I felt nervous. "Jack..?"

He took a few steps into the room and both my parents stood in absolute shock. He tried to avoid their gaze as he looked down at his hands which he was fumbling with. I watched him carefully and waited for him to say something.