Chapter Ten: Jack

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Saturday, September 31st
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

I walked into the large house, not really sure where to go. When Mark walked in, he called out that he was home and brought attention to us in the middle of the entryway.

"Oh hello, I feel like I recognize you!" A pretty woman spoke to me. I definitely felt like I could remember her, but not her name.

"Yeah mom, this is Jack. You already met him at that company party a while back." Mark explained. She smiled and nodded.

"Weren't you going to the fair today?" The woman continued.

"Yeah but we got kind of bored, so we decided to come here." Mark answered. She offered us snacks to which were refused before we ducked into the den. It felt like a man cave all-in-all.

When Mark plopped down on the couch, I gently sat myself next to him. I was still wrapped up in his jacket and didn't really feel like taking it off. Not because I was still cold or nervous or anything. But it was comfy and it smelt good.

I had technically known Mark for a month, but it wasn't until today that I was able to actually admit what had kept me from being a friend to him all this time. Being afraid of things made life harder. Being in my position made me afraid.

I was thankful he was patient though, I had a wonderful day that I never wanted to end. I want to be able to spend more time with him even though I was worried it wouldn't happen again.

"Jackaboy!" Mark spoke up and caught my attention. "I said your name a few times, but you didn't answer."

"Oh.. S-Sorry!" I laughed nervously.

"I asked what you wanted to do." Mark said. Once again, I was thankful he was so patient because I was not.

"Ah, it doesn't matter." I shrugged. "I'm just kind of exhausted from walking around and being around all those people at the fair."

"Oh, you're an introvert then?" Mark asked.

"An intro - what?"

"Y'know an introvert!" Mark said. When I said nothing he continued to explain it to me. "You only require a minimal amount of social stimulation to be satisfied in a day. Extroverts require a lot and an ambivert is right in the middle."

"Huh, maybe. I don't know." I shrugged. "How do you know this kind of thing?"

"Sociology, psychology. I don't remember which one but I learned it there." Mark shrugged.

I watched Mark play a game that looked a little older by the graphics. He had told me what it was twice, I didn't bother asking what it was anymore. He asked me if I would rather play, but I said no. In fact I very much enjoyed watching him play.

"Wait what's happening?" I asked as I watched the cutscene.

"Just keep watching." Mark said. I did, and watched the plot take a turn which pulled Mark to the next level. "I'm thirsty." Mark stood up. "Do you want me to get you something?"

"Um.. Water is fine." I told him. He nodded before leaving the room. I looked around me. On the walls were family pictures. There were decorations that made the house feel warmer. I stood up and walked up to the pictures. There was someone else in them who looked a lot like Mark. I would assume it was his brother.

"Boo." I heard someone whisper behind me. I jumped, screamed and ran into the wall.

"Ow.." I muttered.

"Are you alright?" Mark laughed as I rubbed my head that had just collided with the wall. Shaking the pictures on it.

"You're a fuckin' jerk." I huffed as I pushed on his chest. I barely moved him.