Chapter 20: Who Said It Would Be Pleasant?

Start from the beginning

“Sorry, to interrupt...” Bonnie whispered seriously scared.

“BONNIE!” Caroline realized she could have hit her. ”I'm so so sorry!!!” Caroline rushed to hug her friend. “How can I see you? Where is Kol? I can touch you now?!!!?” Caroline scolded questions.

“You can see me, because I'm alive.” Bonnie said choking since Caroline held her a bit too hard. “Caroline, please, I need some air.”

“Oh sorry.” Caroline let go a little bit. “Please continue, what have happened, how come you are alive?! How?!”

“I'm the anchor between this world and the Other Side now.” Bonnie told Caroline.

“The anchor? What's that?” Caroline was confused.

“It's kinda difficult to explain but long story short. Silas is dead. I'm alive instead and now I'm the gatekeeper to the Other Side.”

“So you no longer need Kol to communicate to others?” Caroline raised one of her eyebrows.

“No, I don't.” Bonnie confirmed.

“You know what this means?” Caroline asked super excited but Bonnie looked confused. “Girl talk, obviously!!” Caroline screamed and Bonnie laughed warmly.

“He's still around.” Bonnie muttered, blushing.

“What?! Details, Bonnie, details!” Caroline urged but then the kettle on the stove reminded of itself and Caroline turned to say to Bonnie. “Ok, later. Could you take Lucas with you? Dinner is on in fifteen minutes.”

Caroline had set the table in the magnificent dining room. She added seats for Bonnie and Kol, got all the food on the table and then announced that the dinner was ready. The atmosphere could have not been more awkward. Caroline and Rebekah started to poke each other with sneering comments, Klaus joined them since he couldn't stand his sister behavior towards Caroline but somehow he ended up getting trambled in the fight between Caroline and Rebekah. Matt and Bonnie were aware of how they were outsiders in the group. Kol was, after a long time no eating, intentionally a real pig in the table, wolfing down the food and Rebekah mocked him about it. Lucas joined the party by the only way he could, crying. Elijah sat in the end of the table, his jaws tightening more and more while he watched how dysfunctional his family was.

“ENOUGH!” Elijah finally opened his mouth and the sound of his voice made everyone, including Lucas, shut up. “I've had enough of this unpleasant family dinner. I do not want to hear any more of this. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.”

Everyone lowered their heads a bit. No one of them had seen Elijah like this before.

“Caroline, please hold on your tongue, my sister is a guest here." Elijah scolded Caroline who bit her tongue to prevent blurting out anymore slightly insulting comments for Rebekah.

"Rebekah, stop mocking Caroline." Elijah switched his focus on her temperamental little sister. "She has put together a wonderful meal for us. I know you two are not exactly the best of friends but I would like you to show some respect to one another.”

"Fine." Caroline said. "Rebekah, hopefully you will enjoy your stay."

“Fine. Thank you Caroline for a lovely meal. Who did you slaved for doing it?” Rebekah said sarcastic.

"I made it myself, just to let you know." Caroline growled for an answer.

"Did you pour your heart out for it? Because you seem a bit heartless to me right now."

“Rebekah!” Elijah warned.

“What?! She has been all bossy with me all day!” Rebekah cried out.