“What?” Mariah responded.

“You know, just chill out. I don’t need you stressing out and stuff. You need to stay healthy for the next baby.”

“The next what?” She asked, incredulously.

“The next bab-”

“I heard what you said. Who said I’m having another kid?” She responded.

Michael pulled his head back and responded, “Uh...me.”

“Uh, how bout, ‘no’.” She said, giving him the ‘boy bye’ look.

“Wait, did you- I know- You cannot be serious right now. Did you think I wanted to stop after the twins?” He replied.

“I gave you two, that should be enough.” She scoffed.

Michael raised his eyebrow at her.

She rolled her eyes and pushed past him, but he grabbed her arm before she could leave.

“Don’t walk away when I’m talking to you.”

“What, Michael? Don’t act like you didn’t already know how I felt about more kids. I don’t even know why you’d even bring that up like it wasn’t hard enough for me with these two.” She exclaimed.

“I didn’t say it wasn’t hard, but the twins are seven months old. You’ve made a lot of progress--excuse me for thinking we could try for more.” He replied.

“Okay well I don’t wanna try for more.”

Michael’s mouth slowly dropped open. He loosened his grip on Mariah.

“Why would you even say that to me?”

Mariah frowned at her husband, and said, quietly, “I don’t know, same reason why you’d bring up more kids considering these two almost killed me.”

Michael let go of her arm. He could see where she was coming from but didn’t exactly understand how she could still feel that way given how much time has passed. So, he just stood there, staring into her cold eyes until she stormed away.

August 3rd, 1998

Michael was laying in bed with his daughters, the TV on cartoons. He was keeping a close eye on Nicole, who kept trying to crawl off the edge of the bed. Noelle was staying close to him and staring at the TV.

Ring.

Ring.

He huffed and picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Hi Michael.” The voice belonged to John Branca, one of his lawyers.

“Branca. How are you?” Michael said as he picked up Nicole and brought her closer to the center of the bed.

“I'm good. How are you?”

Michael pulled Nicole back again. “Busy.”

Nicole screamed and tried to wiggle out of his grasp.

John chuckled. “I can tell.”

“What's going on now?” Michael asked.

John sighed. “Tommy wants to buy your catalog.”

Michael froze. “Um, what?”

Mariah came into the bedroom and picked up Nicole. Michael mouthed 'watch them’ before walking out of the room. “Can you repeat that?”

“We had a meeting and he wants the rest of ATV.”

Michael wiped his hand across his forehead. “What the fuck do you mean he wants my catalog? That’s my catalog Branca.”