Mine

I stumble back, falling onto my butt. Did he just say Dark Moon pack? My friends live there! Or at least, my old friends. I can't let them get hurt! I jump up and run back to the creek, memories penetrating my wall I've built up over the years.

"Noah, Don't go too far! You could get lost." I say sternly to my little brother.

He rolls his eyes and begins to walk off. I groan and grip his wrist tightly, warning him not to disobey. He growls at me, kicking and screaming but I just keep picking berries with my free hand. He angrily scratches my skin until blood begins running down my arm. I growl at him and tighten my grip.

"Stop! Mom and Dad told me to watch after you and that's what I'm gong to do! You can stretch and hit me but I'm not letting you go until I know you've calmed down." I yell.

He huffs and his struggling stops. After a few moments of not even a twitch, I release his hand and begin to pick the berries happily.

"You gonna help?" I ask.

He nods then begins putting black berries into our basket we brought. Once the basket is full, I grab Noah's hand gently and begin leading him home. He skips along beside of me, acting like nothing has happened. I roll my eyes and chuckle lightly.

I suddenly hear a twig snap and a smell of ash hits my nose. Freezing in my spot, I whip around to see a scraggly brown wolf stalking toward us. I know we won't be able to make it back because nether of us could shift yet.

There's only one thing that I could do...

I release Noah's hands and crouch down to his eye level. He's pale and shaking furiously, tears leaking down his face already. I quickly wipe them away and grip his shoulders tightly.

"Listen to me! Listen to me, okay? Run home as fast as you can! Don't look back until your safe inside the pack house! Then go find help! Run away from anyone you don't know! Go! Now! Noah, Go!" I whisper harshly.

He shakes his head but I begin to shove him toward home.

"Now!" I yell.

He flinches and darts away into the woods. I quickly look back the rogue wolf and growl as threatening as I can. The wolf doesn't even take notice and bolts toward me. My eyes widen and I scramble to get away but he sinks his teeth into my leg, making it impossible for me to escape. I scream in pain as he starts to drag me by my leg away from my pack.

My home.

The moonlight glistens in the running water of the creek which brings me out of my thoughts. I have to warn them.

I bolt and begin running in a random direction, hoping I was going the right way. I think it's this way... my wolf retreats to the deeper parts of my mind, letting me do all of the work. Lazy wolf. Jumping over fallen limbs and rocks, I finally hit a clearing.

I frantically look around until I hear a low growl from behind me. My body stiffens and I look over my shoulder to spot Alpha, looking murderous. I gulp and take a step back. Go! My wolf screams, making me flinch in surprise.

I bolt in the opposite direction of the angry Alpha, leaving him looking rather stunned at my actions. I run back into a thickly wooded area and weave through the foliage. I hear rustling behind me but I don't turn around to see what it is. I know what it is.

Alpha.

I run as fast as my weak legs can carry me for hours until my knees lock up and I collapse on the ground, hitting my head on a small rock that is sticking out. My mind suddenly goes fuzzy and my eyes droop. I want to get up and run but I can't even keep my eyelids open. Darkness begins to overcome me and, in the end I let it.