Chapter 21

"Hi mom." I said glumly on the phone. I was sitting in my bedroom at Harry's house, alone. For some reason, I was feeling a bit down lately.

"Hi sweetheart," she said. "How are you doing?"

Since Mason and I agreed to tell mom and dad what happened, they've been nonstop calling me. It was getting kind of annoying.

"Fine." I mumbled. "How about you?"

"We're doing okay," she said. "Kenzie is loving the house to herself, and has been participating in a couple softball camps."

"That's good." I said, and then, the awkward silence set in. I think we were sitting there, silent, for about a minute when mom starting talking again.

"Honey, I need to discuss something with you." She said.

"Yeah?"

"Well...you've been in the hospital twice now, and with us not being there for you...it makes me scared."

"Oh no, I'm doing fine, mom, honest." I piped. I had a bad feeling about this conversation. I pressed the loudspeaker button and continued with the conversation.

"We know, you're a strong girl, but we also understand all the pressures you're going though, you're practically a celebrity now. We know how hard you've been working with the boys, and we understand how difficult that itself can be."

"Yeah, mom, you're right." I said, smirking to myself. "What else?"

"Hayley, we were just thinking, that you know, being forced to grow up on the road is extremely hard for a kid like you, especially as a teenager."

"Yeah...?" I added softly.

"Hayley dear, I think it's time you come home for good."

"WAIT, WHAT?!" I cried, jumping up off the bed.

"You've managed the boys long enough; they can take care of themselves now."

"Mom, you do realize, I'm their JUINOR manager? I'm just learning what it's like to manage a band in general! Simon is the one who actually manages them! I'm just tagging along!"

"We understand that, Hayley," she said. "But with everything that's going on now in your life, we think it's time to retire from it!"

"How do you know I can't already handle it perfectly fine now?!" I cried.

"Look Hayley," mom said in her, "this just got real" voice. "It is time for you to come home. We are not aguing. I don't get why you wouldn't be on board with this. Don't you want to see us?"

"Yes, mom, but...can you understand?" I cried. "I'm in love with this job! I wouldn't want to leave it! This could be my career!"

"What about college, Hayley?" She asked. "And your skating! I have gotten so many emails from people that want to meet with you. Even one from the Olympic developmental team!"

I went silent. Olympic developmental?! This just got real.

"And what about your friends? Don't they matter to you? Jordyn is so alone here!"

"Mom, please." I said. "I do not want to go, I want to stay. I love this job."

"Really?!" Mom cried. "Or are you in love with Harry Styles?!"

I blushed. There was an awkward silence between both of us. I hate to admit it, but in a way, that was sorta true.

I turned around to see Harry leaning against the doorframe, with a rock-hard look on his face.

"I...I've gotta call you back mom," I said. "Bye."

I pressed the end call button, and looked over at Harry.

"Please don't tell me you heard all of it?" I asked.

Harry pointed to the furnace and said, "kitchen."

I secretly cursed in my head. I should've been quieter.

"So...can you see where I'm coming from?" I asked.

He nodded. "Don't worry though, you can still be with me any time."

I rolled my eyes. "You didn't think she was serious, did you?"

Harry chuckled. "For a second, but then I remembered that you stil hate my guts for what happened on the airplane for when we first met...and then there's the day I wouldn't put my boots on, and the same day where I got us chased by a bear, and then the time I stole your t shirt you loved and used it as a snot rag, and then the time I kept tuning around I forgot my que to get on the stage lifts, and then-"

"Okay, dude." I said. "You're actually starting to make me a bit mad now."

Harry laughed. "Yeah, okay."

We were silent for a couple of seconds when his phone rang.

"It's from Zayn." He said. "I'll be right back." He walked out of the room, and left me there to think...real hard.