Chapter 14

Saturday, February 5

The snow had forced them to retreat back to Oikawa's home. It was cold and dark and the streets were filled with slush that would soon turn to ice. It was dangerous to be outside in such conditions, reflecting on what had happened in one similar to it.

As they crossed streets and walked along the pavement, Iwaizumi clung to Oikawa's hand, keeping him close. They appeared to be huddling in defense of the cold, like penguins in a blizzard. Those not conscious of the previous incident would not be aware of its true meaning.

They splashed through puddles of ice-cold water as they sped down the street. The lights of the cars mirrored off the glistening snow, blinding pedestrians with beams of light. They were both cold, not having been quite prepared for the weather.

In their rush to get home, the boys had managed to soak the hems of their pants and splash water into their boots, dampening their socks. Iwaizumi's toes were numb. He was shivering as he rigidly gripped the brunette's hand.

Oikawa fumbled with his keys, his hands shaking and cold. The doorknob was cold to the touch. Quickly, he shoved the key into the hole and turned it to the left, unlocking the door. I flung the door opened and stumbled inside. Iwaizumi followed behind him, only making it a few feet before he collapsed onto the floor and shoved his boots off of his feet.

Oikawa shed his jacket and walked into the kitchen, setting it on the back of a chair. He returned to Iwaizumi who was forcefully rubbing his arms.

"I'll get some blankets," he said, also feeling frozen,"and make some hot chocolate."

"Much appreciated," Iwaizumi choked out. His muscles were tense and his teeth chattered.

"You know, maybe you should have brought a heavier jacket," commented Oikawa, skimming his eyes over the light down jacket Iwaizumi had brought.

Iwaizumi scowled at him, saying,"Just get the blankets, Oikawa."

Oikawa chuckled. "Alright." He made his way towards the stairs and disappeared into the hallway.

Iwaizumi waddled towards the door, locking it. Hearing the soft patter of footsteps, he turned to see Oikawa returning with a large white blanket in his hand. He had changed into sweatpant and a sweatshirt while he was on the second floor.

Holding out the blanket, Oikawa said,"It's the only spare one we have, but it's really big. My mom has all the other ones piled on her bed."

Iwaizumi nodded and Oikawa walked over to the couch setting it on the arm.

"Do you mind if I borrow some clothes?" Iwaizumi asked. "I'm wet."

"Sure, you know where to find them. I'll go make the hot chocolate."

"Thanks."

Iwaizumi traveled upstairs and into Oikawa's room. He flicked on the lights. Iwaizumi didn't dawdle with nostalgia. Instead, he opened the dresser drawer and whipped out a pair of clothes. Deciding it was okay to change in the room, he stripped his clothes and pulled on the borrowed pair. Leaving his wet clothes draped on Oikawa's laundry basket, Iwaizumi left the room to go back to the living room.

At the same time, Oikawa returned with two mugs filled with hot chocolate, marshmallows shoved inside. Both boys plopped onto the couch and tucked themselves under the white fleece blanket. Oikawa cuddled up next to Iwaizumi, nestling near the side of his torso and laying his head on his shoulder.

On instinct, Iwaizumi reached around Oikawa and placed his arm around the other boy's shoulder. It wasn't until a few seconds after that Iwaizumi noticed his action. It had seemed so natural. Yet, he left his arm there, not wanting the create an awkward tension between them.