Oikawa

A/N: Wow, 400 reads. Thank you so much! I really hope that you're enjoying the story! I'm really sorry about the slow updates, but now that I don't have my laptop I can only write on my phone. In an attempt to go faster, I'm writing everything on paper and then transferring it onto here.

«This takes place during chapter 7 as well as between 7 and 8»

I walked into the locker room. I changed into my sweatpants and t-shirt, then exited into the gymnasium. There were a few students mingling about the court and a few others waiting on the bleachers. Two volleyball nets were hanging, splitting the gym into four sections. A cart of volleyballs was wheeled out beside the door of the closet.

"Oikawa!" Someone called.
I glanced over my shoulder. Hanamaki walked over from the door leading to the locker room.
"Hanamaki-san. Hello," I said.
"Geesh, you're too formal. You must've hit your head hard," he replied.
I stared blankly at him.
"Sorry, that wasn't funny."
"No, not in the slightest."
"Oh, but you're still an asshole I see."
"You've been seeing me for days," I pointed out.

When I was able to go back to school, I continued to play volleyball on a part-time basis. During that time, I've once again become familiar with my team mates. There still seems to be a certain feel to the team as a whole, though. Like something is missing. I'm no fool. It didn't take me long to realize that that piece is Iwaizumi-san.

"But that doesn't mean you've been an asshole that whole time," Maki continued.
"I suppose not."
Hanamaki patted me on the back.
"Lighten up a bit, Oikawa. I'm only half serious," he admitted.
I gave him a sarcastic laugh.
"Wow, that makes me feel so much better. Thanks."
"Anytime."

The teacher called us over a few moments later and had us sit on the bleachers. As soon as we all assembled, he introduced the sport we were playing and began review rules and techniques for playing. He decided to only show the simple ways of hitting the ball: setting and bumping. Nothing as experienced as what we do on the team. But that didn't mean we weren't allowed to use our other tricks.

"Iwaizumi-san," the teacher called.
Iwaizumi-san was in this class? I hadn't noticed his enter the gym.
"Yes, Sensei?" He replied.
"Will you and Oikawa-kun demonstrate a toss and a spike? Just in case there is anyone who can pass the most basic level."

Without thinking, I stood up, signifying I accepted this request.
Iwaizumi peered over at me before responding.

"Uh, sure," he said.

I walked out of my row and onto the steps. Iwaizumi followed behind me. The coaches tossed the ball to Iwaizumi, who caught it. Before throwing it to me, he nodded. Unsure of how to respond, I nodded back. Then he tossed the ball into the air. I received it by setting it towards Iwaizumi. It flew high above the net, fitting into Iwaizumi's hand. With the while of his arm, the ball slammed into the ground. The thud echoed of the walls. Then, the students in the bleachers cheered. It was a perfect play. Iwaizumi began to smile.

He walked away to the teacher.
"Sensei, may I use the restroom?" He asked.
"Sure, Iwaizumi-san. Just try to make it quick."

I got a look at Iwaizumi's face as he jogged away. The smile was gone, replaced with a frown and furrowed brows. Something had made him upset in that short span on time. My guess that playing had triggered unwanted memories.

"Everyone listen up!" The teacher announced. "I'm going to split you up into four groups. Group one is all the way in the back. Two is playing them. The same thing with three and four."

Then he began counting off. After a few short minutes, everyone was on a team and ready to play. But I noticed that Iwaizumi had not returned.

"Maki," I said, nudging his ribs with my elbow. "Iwaizumi-san still isn't back."
"Oh, you're right. I'll go check on him," Hanamaki responded.

He spoke with the teacher who allowed him to go to his friend. Mali disappeared into the bathroom. He was gone long enough that the room filled with chattering voices. Finally, Maki came back. Although, he had a solemn look to his face.

He told the teacher,"He says he's sorry and that he'll be out in a minute." Then he returned to his spot.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked.
Maki looked a little unsure, scanning their surroundings.
"Look," he said. "Don't tell anyone, but  he was crying again."
I frowned, but didn't press.

Sure enough, Iwaizumi soon trotted out, taking position on a court. The whites of his eyes had a slight pink tinge to them, only noticeable if you were trying to find something wrong. Nearly as soon as he took position, the students began their game. It was a slow and inexperienced game, so I barely had to move. It seemed like forever until the period was over and we had to change again. I watched as Iwaizumi rushed over to the locker room. Amazing quick, he was almost fully dressed by the time I entered.

I wish I could let him know that I was worried about him. Not that I could remember, but he seemed different from what I would imagine would be his normal self. I knew that he was one of the people most upset about my accident. Especially him. He said I was his best friend. But how do you not remember your best friend? We were friends since we were kids. If I remember my mother, why do I not remember him? Is my body choosing to block out those memories? Is it traumatizing? What could he possibly have done wrong to deserve this? It didn't matter. All I know is that I'm worried about him. What else is he going to do to himself? I hope he'll be alright. But will he be?