Chapter 7: May and the Homeless Man

There was a knock on the "meeting room" door in purgatory. Aurum had suspected that Denarios would want to see him, but not this soon. It had been a week since he heard May's scream reach heaven. It was a good thing that it was small enough that it only reached the gates where he happened to be sitting. It would be a bad thing for him if the others had heard it. If any on earth had, there was no mention of it. "Enter."

Denarios walked in closing the door behind him. If this damn angel so much as played with him he'd punch him right there! "Aurum." He said coldly.

"Denarios, or are you going by Den again." It wasn't a question, it was more like an accusation.

"Good, I thought I would have to beat the fact that you had heard her out of you." He said with fist in hand. "You do realize that we are both lucky that nobody else seemed to notice it." Not to mention also really good for May.

"Worried are we?" He said with his arms crossed leaning against the wall.

"Yes actually, because I have a feeling you had something to do with this." Denarios looked straight at him. "I have one question and you better answer it."

"Oh really, and what would that be?" Aurum asked with amusement.

"How did Harmonia's soul end up in the well for rebirth? Her sentence had been to spend eternity in purgatory." He had a feeling as to what the answer was. But he needed to hear for himself.

"It's simple. We realized after we had sent her there that it was possible for you two to find each other. What better way to prevent that than to put her soul into the well to be recycled?"

If he could he would kill that angel where he stood! "Yeah, well there's a catch."

"Oh really?" This he had to hear.

"She doesn't remember who she is. She believes it was all a nightmare. One she had only because I had told her a little bit about us." That, and he had been selfish, hurting her in the process. "She thinks she can find Harmonia for me! Call it her innocent naivety." Sadly he had avoided her as much as possible since then. What if he said something else that would cause her to black out again? She had the phone if she really needed him. She hadn't used it yet, which just proved his point. She wasn't Harmonia anymore. And sadly that May may not feel the same way towards him, that she didn't need him. She just needed to pay her soul off and get back to her old life. The further she got away from them the better.

"Perhaps you're doing it wrong." Aurum laughed. "Maybe I should give it a try." Again, not a question.

"Touch her and I will annihilate you!" Denarios stood rigid, both hands now balled up, white knuckled.  If it wouldn't cause more harm than good he would punch him with the all the force he had in him.

Aurum grinned like a fool. "The only way to do that..."

He cut him off, "Is to take myself with you. Way to state common knowledge." He turned to leave. "She doesn't understand who she is... No, who she was. For her sake I'm going to keep it that way. And I will kill you and I both to do it." He looked the angel straight in the eyes. "Don't touch her. Have you ever thought about what would happen if my boss found out that he held the fate of a seraph soul in his hands? Just for once in your life, your unfortunate eternal but not invincible life, think before you act." And with that he left. He had only called him there with the purpose of that warning.

That's not what Aurum had expected at all.

~

"Hey Candy?" May asked in a bit of downtime at the office.

"Yes May?" She asked putting her magazine down.

"How does one get into purgatory?" She tried asking as nonchalantly as possible.