"I Think I Love Her"

Começar do início

Looking up in her those compassionate hazel eyes, Benji forgot about the pain. He forgot about his nervousness. “Uh huh. I am, thank you. Where did you learn to do that?”

The girl’s brows creased in a downward movement and her cheek crinkled in a smile. “My mom, I guess.”

“Your mum’s very smart.”

Kris turned off the water and looked around for a towel.

“Oh, don’t worry about it, I’ll dry off fine.” Benji pulled his hand back to him and wiped it up and down the length of his shirt. “Thanks. So, we don’t have to drink anythin’. I just make myself look like an idiot.”

“Aww, I don’t think you are. I think you’re being very sweet,” Kris said, tucking her hands between her thighs and bending down just enough for the collar of the shirt to hang, revealing her smooth neck. But that was all Benji was privileged to see before she straightened up and walked to the den. “Mr. Dore, right?”

“Yeah, that’s me. And you’re Kris Madison, a job agent. Tell me, how does that work?” Benji gestured to the comfier sofa, which Kris gladly plopped down in. She tucked her legs underneath her and rested her arms on the arm rest. Benji sat across from her on a beanbag.

“Well, we’re an up and coming group of agents, should I say. Most people look for jobs online; rarely do they hire job agents. But, we’re part of a large company based in Manhattan, United States, and are trained to help people pursue careers that fit their interests. We help polish resumes and help with networking, basically we’re like secretaries crossed with talent agents, you know? Like I said, we’re new at this, not saying that we’ve founded the idea of job agents, we’re just now forming the base for people specifically trained to help other people.”

“I see, so, if it’s not too soon, how much?”

“Well, this is considered a free session, what we’re having right now, but if you consider, it’s about five hundred pounds for every week I help you. And I help you every day from nine to five, or any time that’s flexible for you.”

Benji held his breath and sunk deeper into the bean bag. He knew he didn’t have enough money, especially with Copper moving out and leaving the rent to him. Avoiding eye-contact with Kris, for he didn’t want her to see the poverty in his eyes, he stared at not particular object in the room.

Sensing his finance issues, Kris offered slowly, “We do except payments as it comes, as long as it’s paid in full. There’s no time limit on when it’s all to be paid.”

“That’s a relief, I mean, can we talk about what I’d like to do, or is that considered another session?”

“No, no, tell me what you’re interested in.”

Sitting up, Benji moistened his lips and began cautiously, watching her every expression, “Well, I like writing. I like writing a lot. I know I go to editors and publishers and people like that, but are you the person who would speed up that process?”

“I can’t necessarily speed up the process, but I can get you in contact with big publishers like Random House, Penguin, and publishing houses like that. I can get it to the right people in less time than it would be if you sent an email and then a manuscript. I basically hire the best for you.”

“Oh, right, yeah, I mean, that’s what I want.”

Kris’s professional disposition faded away and she leaned forward from the couch, her eyes ever breaking from Benji’s. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Um, sure, I guess,” Benji laughed nervously, but then stopped himself when he saw how attentive she was towards him.

“How did you find me?”