Chapter 18

Zahrah hesitantly strode into the house. For the past one week she had not stepped into the house. She knows definitely that Aisha's mother will be waiting to welcome her with an enrage expression on her face. Last two days, she sent little Khadi to enquire about her, she told Khadi she wasn't feeling too well. She did that to secrete their dissension though she knows it will not last long. For how long will she keep lying to her parent? she knows not lying is not part of her character but in the past few days, it has been induced in her.

'In sha Allah everything will be over in few days coming' she said silently. She had planned on telling her mother everything today, and her mother will explain to her father. Her mother is of impeccable character and easily understandable. She can explain to her father appeasingly so that no harm will be done. She had already sacrificed her happiness for her friend, she will take the brunt and suffer the harm.

Her happiness had been veiled since the day she discovered that her relationship with Adam is riddled. She smiles not because she wanted to and laugh so to conceal her pain. Despite all effort to extirpate Adam's love from her heart, she failed to do so because his love had prevailed over her heart. She's hurting alot she knows definitely.

She missed Adam so much. She wanted to call and hear his voice but she's scared that might rise his hope of her withdrawing her decision.

She could remember clearly how he stormed out of the house in a vicious temper, which caused her heart to almost spring out of her chest. She prayed earnestly for God to grant him peace of mind as she's doing for herself too, but it seems hers is not working. Yesterday night she couldn't sleep. She writhe from side to side in agony from an unknown pain which suddenly descended on her heart.

She went straight to Aysha's room and meet her lying quietly like a lifeless creatures on the bed. She was so fragile that Zahrah felt pain and unexplained compassion for her.

Aysha raised her head forlornly from the bed as she heard footsteps. She was stunned and looked momentarily confused when she beheld Zahrah in the room.  Upon all people walking on earth, is Zahrah she least expected to see last in her room.

She sat on the bed and gave Zahrah an astounding look.

"Aren't you happy to see me?"
Zahrah said with a little smile on her lips.

  Aysha could not answer instead let out an agonized smile.

Stream of happiness flows in her heart when Zahrah smiled at her. At first she was scared, but later became calm as she knows Zahrah would never hurt her instead, she's the one being insincere in their friendship.

"Aysha are you this sick?" Zahrah asked with concern all over her face.

  "I'm not sick." Aysha answered as she sat upright.

  "Then what's wrong with you, or is it....." she hesitated for a little while then went ahead
"Is it Adam."

Aysha turned her face to the other side in embarrassment. How could she even face Zahrah after what she did to her. The mention of Adam alone strike her heart like a tree being cut with an axe. It's obvious that Zahrah is suffering too she's just trying to fight it off. She's the strong one among them, the super hero.

"Since you don't want to answer come lets go to the back of the house I want to talk to you.  By the way where is mama?  I know khadi has gone to school."

"Mama is in her room"
Aysha answered with a glance towards the door.

What did Zahrah want to talk about now, she has no idea how it pains her to remember that incident. She don't want to talk about Adam either, for she will fail in her fight with herself. She has been fighting to look stronger despite that it is clearly written all over her that she's in pain. The bird of misfortune had already perched on her roof, she's left to suffer the harm.