5. The Awkward Mate

I loved my father, I really did.  But it was so difficult living with him.  Not because he was especially mean or strict but because I was away from my pack.  No matter how inviting my father's pack might be it wasn't mine.  Nothing would ever be.  I couldn't change packs and feel content with it without being rejected or rejecting my mate.  And that had never truly happened. 

A little back story about my mother and father is that I couldn't be with both at one time because of the awkward mate.  My mother had found her mate at the age of sixteen and a week after they meet he was killed by some hunters.  A wolf with a dead mate is a sad thing.  But my mother found my father.  They fell in love the human way.  After a year of dating they decided to get married.  Or rather I did.  My mother was pregnant with me.  They loved each other and had a cub on the way so they thought why not seal the deal.  They were two days from the wedding when my mother's best friend, Sylva, came home from her mission trip in Africa.  Long story short Sylva and my father were mates. 

Of course my mother couldn't blame them but she was damaged.  She didn't find love again because when your a werewolf and your not mated to them they might leave you for their real mate.  She couldn't stand going through that pain again so she moved half way across the country with me.  My parent's meetings always awkward and painful. 

But my mother being the amazing mother she was still came to visit me.  I stayed with my father the rest of my sophomore year and junior.  Deciding that for my senior I should go back to my pack and show everyone who was the real intellectual badass.   

My father and his awkward mate had a child a couple months after I was born and I've always loved him.  Since I've stayed with my father Harrison, my half-brother, and I had grown even closer.  He taught me how to fight in wolf form and I was the best she-wolf in his pack.  I also took lessons so that I could fight in human form and I'm not to modest to admit that I am quite good.  I had changed somewhat since my late afternoon in my pack and was nervous about letting my true self come out to those who all were mean to me.  I couldn't wait to see the look on my mate's face. 

My best friend Jordan wasn't replaced though.  How could she be?  She visited me every summer I was in my father's pack and when we weren't together we texted, called, and skyped.  I knew that when I got off this endless plane ride back home she and my mother would be waiting for me.  I couldn't wait to be home.  To show my mate what he almost rejected.