Thirty-five

Shari's first over is basically full of sighters. Hannah and I manage to score two runs off it, but most of her balls we leave alone. We meet in the middle of the pitch for the change of ends.

"Not a bad start," Hannah says, adjusting the straps on her gloves. It's a nervous tick, judging by the fact she does each one exactly three times.

"No wickets yet at least," I reply and Hannah smiles back. We watch as Shari and Paris reset the field. It's a basic field, trying to get us to play straight to the quicks. Paris is much quicker than Shari, so we'll need to watch her early. I say as much to Hannah and she agrees.

"I faced her in the nets. She bowls dead straight too."

"Thanks for the tip," I say. This will be my first taste of facing Paris this week. Although I'd never normally let a bowler intimidate me, something about the way Paris carries herself puts me on edge. "Let's get through this over and see where we are."

Hannah nods and bumps gloves with me and heads to the striker's end. I stand at the end of the pitch at the non-striker's, ready to back up in case Hannah wants to take a quick single. Hannah faces up and Paris runs in.

The first ball is a loosener and Hannah lets it go. Paris gives me a glare as she walks back to her mark but I do my best to ignore her. The next ball is straighter and Hannah steps across and uses the pace to steer it down to fine leg. We take off for a run and though we could push for two, Hannah's happy with one. I take my time facing up, checking the field for any movement in case the fielding positions change. No-one moves, so I step onto the wicket and take my mark.

Paris runs in and delivers a ball that jumps up around my rib cage. It takes me by surprise so I have a little trouble fending it off. Thankfully, I get enough bat on it to drop it straight down, happy it didn't balloon up for a catch. Paris sneers at me and lifts her chin. Okay. I'll give her that one.

To settle myself down, I wander down the pitch and do some gardening. I prod at an invisible crack on the pitch, roughly in the spot I'd much rather Paris be bowling, just in case she thinks there's something there that I'm worried about, and then turn around and head back to the crease. Again, I take my time facing up. If Paris is anything like Adam, she'll want to get through this over as quickly as she can to try to keep me on my toes. I've barely looked up when she starts running in again. I could step away before she gets to the crease to show that I'm not ready, but I stay where I am. Stepping away would mean two to Paris and none to me.

She bowls.

It's a wide one, not quite in my sweet spot but close enough that I have a slash at it only to miss it. It sails through to Charlie behind the stumps. Charlie, apparently sensing my unease, jogs up to the stumps to throw the ball to the fielder at cover. "Settle, Alice. Take your time."

I don't reply but nod to let her know I've heard her. I can't let Paris get the better of me. Just two more balls to see off in this over before Shari comes back on.

The next ball is straight, so I defend it to the fielder at cover. Again, I head down the pitch and prod at the grass a few times, just to reinforce that there's something there that might make me uncomfortable. Unbelievably, it works. Paris's final ball is just short of my sweet spot but I step forward and meet the ball with a crack. It cannons off my bat but I don't get my placement right and it goes straight to the fielder. I console myself with the fact that I managed to pick her pace. I meet Hannah in the middle of the pitch to talk tactics.