Twenty-three

I'm buzzing after my first nets session, so I skip the movie and head to the public phone near Oona's office to call home. I want to tell Mum all about my first day at camp. Adam picks up on the third ring. "Adam," he says, sounding totally uninterested about who is on the other end of the phone.

"Hey. It's Alice."

"Oh, hey Alice. What's up? You want to come home already?" He laughs at his own joke.

"Shut up. Is Mum home?"

"Nope. Working."

Silence. Chewing.

"Are you eating?"

"Mm-hhm. Pizza. Pepperoni, since you're not home. You being away on camp turns out to not be a bad thing. Also, I put a stack of Stumps mags on your desk. I've finished with them so I thought you might want them."

I want to punch him through the phone. "I'm so glad you're having such a great time without me."

Adam laughs again.

I close my eyes and let out a breath. I wasn't expecting to have to talk to him. It was Mum I really wanted to talk to.

Adam burps. "I gotta go. Pizza's getting cold."

"You're such a pig. And camp's great by the way. Thanks for asking."

"That's great, Alice. I'll tell Mum you called."

"You do that."

He hangs up and I lean my head against the wall. It would've been nice for him to be happy for me.

I press the button to reset the phone and dial again. It rings and rings before someone picks up.

"Maryborough Indoor Centre. This is Jazz."

"Hey, Jazz. It's Alice."

"Alice! Hey, how's camp? Bet you're kicking some butt."

I immediately feel better. "Yeah, actually. I just called for some advice. Have you got time?"

"I always have time for you, Kiddo, you know that."

I knew she'd make me feel better. I smile tomyself and tell her all about my first day.