Thirty-four

I don't get to catch up with Charlie until breakfast the next morning and even though I'm happy to see her, I can't hide my mood. She grabs my hand as I stab at my bacon. "It's already dead," she says. "You don't have to kill it again."

"Sorry." I put down my fork and drink my orange juice. "How's Ethan?"

"He was on some pretty good painkillers, so he was seeing pink elephants," Charlie replies with a grin.

I laugh in spite of myself.

She slathers her hashbrown in tomato sauce, picks it up with her hand and devours half of it with one bite. "What's up with you?"

"Nothing." I was in bed by the time Charlie got back last night, so I didn't tell her about my run in with Paris and Shari. Besides, she's in such a good mood after seeing her family last night, I don't want to spoil it for her.

Charlie watches me as she finishes off her hashbrown and when she's finished eating, she says, "I'm nervous about today too, but so is everyone else."

I don't say anything.

Charlie grabs me by my shoulder and makes me look at her. "Today's the day you get to put them in their place, Alice. No scenarios or limits. Just a proper outdoor hit out."

I smile back at her. Not because I feel better, but because I know that's what she wants. Besides, I'm happy to let her think my mood is just down to being nervous about today's games. She doesn't need to hear me whinging about Paris and her intimidation attempts when her brother goes into surgery today. I concentrate on finishing my breakfast without trying to murder my bacon.

Charlie is absolutely buzzing by the time we get down to the practice pitch. We drop our bags on the ground beside the fence and head out to the middle where Brad and Karen are waiting for us. Once everyone's arrived, including the Brisbane squad, Brad and Karen explain how today's going to work.

It's basically batters versus bowlers. We only get eight overs per batting pair to show the coaches what we've got, and it's up to the coaches whether we get to bat more than once. Karen explains that as well as us trying to impress them, they'll be working out bowling and batting combinations for the game tomorrow. As a bonus, we'll get the chance to field along side some of the junior players in the Brisbane squad, who are also trying to get a spot on tomorrow's team. The senior players will get the day off to watch us.

"Okay," Brad says, looking down at his clipboard. "First batting pair up is Alice and Hannah. Shari and Paris will take the ball. Bowlers to set their own fields."

I look over to where Paris and the other bowlers are all standing together, chatting amongst themselves. Paris glares at me, making me feel a little uncomfortable. I don't think she showed everything she's got in the scenarios yesterday, so I'm not looking forward to facing her today.

Charlie pats me on the shoulder. "Show her what you've got," she says.

We head over to our bags and Hannah and I start kitting up.

"Should've known they'd put us all-rounders together," Hannah says. "I don't normally open the batting."

I strap on my pads. "I don't care where I bat, just as long as I bat."

"So you won't mind facing up first then?" Hannah asks.

I shrug. "Fine by me."

Hannah smiles. "I think I'm going to enjoy this."

We head out to the wicket as Brad and Karen set the first field and then let Shari adjust it as she wants. I mark out the centre stump on the crease so I can keep my bearings, and Charlie says, "Good luck."

"Thanks," I reply, and get ready to face up.Paris is fielding at mid-on and by the look on her face, I'm going to need all the luck I can get.