Thirty-two

Regan's first ball to me isn't as fast as I was expecting but it's dead on, so I play an easy defensive shot that shoots the ball straight back to her. She picks up the ball and gives me a glare before she turns and walks back to her mark. The next ball is faster and wider and if we were outside in a proper match, I'd slash at it and send it to the boundary, but this time, I let it go because if I hit it, it means I have to run and that would put Nicki on strike again. Regan glares at me again, but Charlie says behind me, "Good leave."

"I would've hit it in a game," I reply.

"Me too," Charlie says. "That's why it's a good leave here." She smiles and I smile back.

The next ball is on my leg side, and I could whip it behind, but that would send it outside the markers, so I hit it straight to Hannah, who's fielding close in on the on side. I know Regan is testing me out, seeing if I want to play, and it's taking all my patience to not just hit out if she bowls me a bad ball, but I keep thinking about the scenario.

One ball to go. I step off the pitch to compose myself. It's not exactly a life and death situation, but it's a matter of pride. If Regan gets me out, we lose the scenario, and I can already hear Paris telling everyone who'll listen that I'm not as good as I think I am. Just one good hit would wipe the smirk off her face.

"One to go," Charlie says. She's making a show of fixing the bails so she can talk to me. "Just see it off, Alice. You don't need to prove anything."

"How do you know I was thinking of going big?"

"The way you're sizing up the fielding positions. I can practically see your mind ticking over."

I shake my head and step back onto the pitch, ready to face the last ball of Regan's over.

Regan takes her time, making me wait, glaring at me from the other end. She reminds me so much of Adam standing up there, thinking he had me covered in that last match. I shake the memory of Adam from my mind and remind myself that I don't need to do anything rash. It's just one ball. Nothing special. Don't do anything stupid, Alice.

Regan runs in for her final delivery and I try to focus only on her bowling hand. The ball comes out of the back of her hand and I watch it loop in the air and hit the pitch, right in my sweet spot. Without thinking, I stride forward and connect with the ball, right in the middle of my bat. It's Adam and the scout match all over again. The ball sails back over Regan's head into the netting and drops to the ground. Everyone turns to me, mouths open. Everyone except for Paris who stands and looks at the ball, her back to me.

"Great shot," Charlie says, standing beside me.

"That wasn't supposed to happen," I reply.

"Still, you showed them up." Charlie pats me on the shoulder.

Brad walks over with his clipboard, writing furiously. He looks at me over his glasses. "While that was a great shot, Alice, it wasn't what the scenario required."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," he says. "You need to concentrate. Hitting big is a great skill to have, but you'll need to learn some patience if you're going to go further in this game. Just think about that for the next scenario, okay?"

"Okay. Sure," I reply. He smiles at me and heads off to talk to the team playing in the next one.

I stick my bat under my arm and head over to Nicki. "Good job," I tell her and she says, "You too." We head back to our kit bags and drop down onto the bench beside each other. Charlie plants herself on the floor in front of me. "Great batting," she says, getting herself kitted up for her turn to bat. "Now you can see how it's really done."

I toss my gloves into my bag. "What scenario have you got?"

"Two overs to go, sixteen runs to get."

"Why couldn't I get the run chase?" I complain.

"I guess they wanted to see a real pro have a go at it," Charlie says. I throw my arm guard at her and she laughs.

I look over to where Paris, Shari and the other bowlers are discussing how they're going to play the next scenario. I hate that they won today. As if she's reading my thoughts, Charlie says, "You'll get your chance, Alice. Don't worry about it." She pats me on the leg and heads onto the field.