Thirteen

The next few days leading up to camp fly by and I pack and unpack and repack my bags a hundred times before I'm happy with what I've got. Adam refuses to let me borrow any of his stuff, but I manage to swipe a pair of unused batting inners while he's at work because I don't have time to get new ones myself. I'm happy to train without them if I have to but we've apparently got a big game on the final day of the camp to finish off, so I need them for that. Dad's managed to convince his boss to let him work from the Brisbane office for the week while I'm down there, but he has to drop me off on Sunday, a full two days before the camp starts on Tuesday. I guess it'll give me time to get my bearings. I've never been to Toowoomba before.

As we drive through the big iron gates of Horton Private College and down the driveway lined with massive camphor laurel trees, I feel a little overwhelmed. I've never been to a private school before and the buildings, the gardens, the cricket oval, all look so perfect.

Dad pulls up in a car park opposite an old red brick building that looks like the old railway station from home, except it's ten times bigger. "This is it," he says, patting me on the leg. "Oona said she'd meet us out front, but I can't see her." He twists in his seat. "Can you see anyone?"

I glance around and shake my head. Dad pulls out his mobile. "Where's your letter? I wrote her number down on that. I'll give her a call and tell her we're here."

I dig in the front pocket of my backpack and hand Dad the information letter I got last week. Dad punches in the number on his old mobile phone and hands me back the letter.

As I take in the scale of this place, the buildings that just ooze money and privilege, I wonder if we're in the right place. I already feel like an intruder in this school that probably cost more to build than my entire home town. And what if I'm not as good as the other girls on the camp? What if they take one look at me and send me home because I'm not good enough? What if John Waverley's made a huge mistake? My stomach churns. A tall lady with dark wavy hair appears from behind the manicured hedges and rushes down the steps, waving and smiling. I swallow down my nerves and get out of the car.

"Alice?" the lady asks and I nod, taking in her slight American accent and over-sized football jersey. The bangles on her wrist tinkle as she shakes my hand. "I'm Oona. Great to meet you. Sorry I wasn't out here waiting. I got caught up with some paperwork." Dad shakes Oona's hand and introduces himself.

"Well," Oona says, "we should get you settled. We have another early arrival so you two girls can keep each other company until everyone else arrives for camp on Tuesday. And I've got the other squad arriving this afternoon too. No rest for the wicked, right?"

"Right," Dad agrees with a laugh, and heads around to the back of the car to get my bags.

"So," Oona says. "First time in Toowoomba?"

"Yeah." I throw my kit bag over one shoulder and my backpack over the other. Dad grabs my suitcase and slams the boot shut.

"It's just like a big ol' country town," Oona says as she turns and walks towards the steps. "Gorgeous weather, friendly people. You'll love it. Not that you'll get to get out much what with all your training and stuff." We reach the top of the steps and turn right. "That's the original classroom," Oona says, pointing out the old red brick building as we pass. "Built in 1882. Cool, right? I just love old buildings." She strides ahead and I have to almost run to keep up with her. "You'll do a proper orientation Tuesday morning once everyone's arrived, so I'll show you to your dorm and then you can have a bit of an explore on your own."

I'm a little breathless so I don't answer, but Dad asks, "Are you with the camp or the school?"

"The school," Oona replies. "I'm like the den mother when school's in. I live on campus even during the holidays and make sure everything's ready to go for the next term."

"So you're helping out with the cricket camp then?" Dad asks.

"Oh, yeah. I love doing this stuff. Not as stressful as having the boys full time. Not that I don't love it, but girls are so much easier sometimes." She smiles at me and I smile back.

Oona leads us to another red brick building that's obviously newer than the old one we saw earlier, but it looks like it's trying to blend in with its surroundings. "Here we are," she says. "Home sweet home for the next week or so." She pushes open the glass door and leads us inside. The entry is huge. There's a staircase in front of us, double doors to the left and a corridor to the right. "Dining hall through those doors," Oona says, pointing to the double doors, "and communal kitchen and large common room down that corridor. There are smaller common rooms in the middle of each dormitory floor too with games and a TV and stuff to keep you busy if you have down time."

We follow Oona up the stairs and when we get to the first floor, she takes a right and heads down a corridor. All the doors are open and as we pass, I take a peek inside. These are obviously the dorm rooms judging by the beds and desks in them. She takes me down to room number 18 and knocks on the open door. "You have a room mate, Charlie," Oona says.

A girl, about my age, a cap on backwards and wearing a white polo shirt with the collar up and cargo shorts is laying on a bed reading a book. She smiles when we enter and jumps off the bed. I drop my kit bag onto the floor and dump my backpack on the other bed. "Hey, I'm Charlie," she says, thrusting out her hand.

I shake it. "Alice," I reply.

"Alice's dad," Dad waves from the door way. He pushes my suitcase across the floor, but doesn't come in. The room is barely big enough for the two of us, let alone four people.

There's an awkward silence and then Oona says, "Well, I have a tonne of stuff to do before the Brisbane squad arrives. I'll catch you downstairs for dinner. Doors open at seven o'clock."

"Okay," I nod and watch as she sweeps out of the room.

Dad moves aside to let Oona out and then leans in the doorway. We both look at each other and I know he has to go but I can feel the slightest of lumps forming in my throat at the thought of him leaving me here. I swallow it down and take a breath and smile at him, just to let him know I'll be fine, even though I'm not sure I will be. I can't remember a time when I stayed somewhere without at least one of my parents.

"Well," Dad says, straightening up. "I should get going. Your Aunt Phoebe is expecting me at her place by six. You know what she's like about being on time."

I nod in reply and step over my bags and give him a hug. He squeezes me tight and I can feel his voice rumble in his chest when he says, "I'll see you in a week." He pulls back and holds me by the shoulders. "Have a great time." I watch him stride down the hallway and disappear down the stairs. When I turn back, Charlie's looking out the window.

"You can see the car park from here," she says.

I stand beside her and watch as Dad gets in the car and drives off.

"I'm so glad I didn't have to go through that," Charlie says with a sigh.

"Go through what?" I ask.

"Watching my dad leave."

"What do you mean? Didn't your parents drop you off?"

"I came in by bus this morning."

"By yourself?"

Charlie snorts. "Yeah, 'course."

I wonder where she could've come from that she had to take a bus. "Where are you from?" I ask.

"Out west. Amby Creek. Heard of it?" I shake my head. Charlie says, "No-one ever has. Where are you from?"

"Maryborough," I reply.

"Mary Poppins," Charlie nods, referring to my towns' most famous export.

"Yeah," I reply.

"And sugar cane," Charlie says.

"How do you know that?" I ask. "I don't know anything about Amby Creek."

Charlie shrugs. "I did an assignment on Queensland agriculture this year. Did you know some guy paid thirty grand for a box of mangoes once?"

"No."

"Neither did I til I did the assignment,"Charlie says. She nods towards the door. "We've got a few hours to kill before dinner. Come on. I'll show you around."