Thirty-one

Shari's first two balls are right on the money, full and straight and hard to play. I play them both straight back to her with defensive shots. I feel like I can pick her pace. It's just the line and length I need to work out. Her third ball is a little wider of the crease and I'd normally smash it hard back past her to the boundary, but since that would mean we'd have to run, I steer it to Zoe at mid-off.

Nicki comes down the pitch and I meet her half way. "When do you want me to run?" she asks.

"How do you feel about facing Shari?"

Nicki shrugs. "I haven't faced her in the nets, so I don't know how I'll go. I'm better with spin."

"Okay. I'll see off this one and the next one, and then we'll run on the last one. Make sure you're backing up."

Nicki nods and heads back to the other end.

"Are you running on this one?" Charlie asks.

I turn and look at her. "Why would I tell you that?"

"Just wondering whether I should stand up to the stumps or not just in case."

"You do what you think's best."

Charlie pokes her tongue out at me and then sets herself behind the stumps again.

Shari's fourth ball is on the leg side and no threat so I let it go. She has a quick chat with Paris and resets the field, putting more space in between the fielders. She's trying to get me to play so they can get Nicki on strike. They think they can get her out.

Shari bowls her second-last ball on a good length for me, a little wide, exactly where I like them. I stride forward to play a straight drive, but I check my shot and the ball dribbles back to Shari, who's obviously surprised by my choice of shots judging by the look on her face.

I ignore her and head up the pitch to talk to Nicki. "Ready to run?" I ask. She nods. "Make sure you're backing up. If the ball goes anywhere off the pitch, just run as hard and fast as you can."

"Got it," Nicki says.

I face up for Shari's final ball and have to wait while she again talks behind her hand to Paris. They bring the field in closer, trying to cramp me up. Finally, when they're satisfied, Shari runs in. The ball pitches short and jags back off the seam. Nicki is striding down the pitch, ready for the single, but I can't get my bat on the ball. It kicks up and I end up fending it off with my arm guard and it drops onto the ground near my feet. Zoe swoops in to collect the ball and I yell at Nicki to get back. She turns and makes a dive for the crease and thankfully, no-one is backing up at the bowler's end because the ball misses the stumps and cannons into the back netting. I'm happy we saved the wicket but now Nicki's on strike to Regan, which is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

Nicki stands up and adjusts her protective gear and again, we meet in the middle. "Sorry," she says.

I shake my head. "That was my fault. I should've guessed what they'd be planning. Are you going to be okay against Regan?"

"It's only six balls, right?"

"Right. If it's on the stumps, get your bat on it. Otherwise—"

"— leave it alone. I know. My coach tells me that all the time."

We smile at each other. It must be hard being a tail-ender and not being expected to last long in the middle. "I'll back up on every ball. The run is your call, so if you want to take a run, make sure you yell at me."

Nicki nods. We bump gloves and head to our ends.

Regan looks like all her Christmases have come at once. She thinks she's got this in the bag. I haven't seen Nicki bat yet, so I hope she can hold out for as long as she can, or at least get me on strike to see out the over.

Regan's first ball is dead on the stumps, making Nicki play. She jumps as she hits the ball, which is never a good sign. Her first instinct is to get out of the way, but her training's telling her to hit the ball. It's not enough to get a run, but I give her a thumbs up and she smiles back. Regan's next ball is just as fast, but Nicki gets enough bat on it to drop it between two fielders. Her call of "Yes" echoes off the walls and we both take off at a sprint. Hannah fires the ball to Charlie who whips off the bails, but I'm home just in time. I breath a sigh of relief and turn back to Nicki. I give her a nod, and she nods back. She's leaning on her bat, which isa sure sign that nothing is going to move her from the non-strikers' end now that she's back there. I smile to myself. I just have to face four balls from Regan to see out the innings and win the scenario. How hard can it be?