Chapter 29

Chapter 29

~

"You have no control who lives, who dies, who tells your story." -Lin-Manuel Miranda

~

Backness, that's all I saw. I felt my consciousness rising as if I were surfacing in water. My eyes opened slowly, and my eyes began to shake at the brightness I beheld. I sluggishly moved my arm to block the light so that I could sit up and take a look around. I was in some kind of village. The first sound that I remembered hearing was the constant roar of what I thought at the time was a waterfall. I looked towards the direction it was coming from to see a wave of water that never endingly moved rapidly in my direction. I walked towards it, and put my hand in it, causing a fracture in it's course.

"O-Ophelia?" A voice stammered from behind me. I whirled, recognising the voice that called to me.

"Mom?" I gasped. "Mom!" I ran over to her, and attacked her with a hug. "Where's dad?"

"He's at home, dear. Why are you here so soon?" She looked both happy and sad that I was there.

"I may have had an accident while aboard the Dawn Treader that involved a Sea Serpent, and, well, it did not end well," I tried to make it sound less horrific than it was.

"Well, nevertheless, I am happy to have you here, and I'm sure your father will be as well."

"Where are we?" I looked around where I was, but all I could see was sand and the wave.

"We're in Aslan's Country," she informed, and swept an arm to point behind me where a large, heaven-like city awaited me.

We began heading in the city's direction, and I was so excited that I almost forgot what I had left behind. Once we arrived, I took a deep breath before entering. As we walked through the beautiful city, with its rock and wooden houses and beautifully crafted buildings, I admired every little thing that we passed. I didn't even notice when i had begun walking alone. I heard an attention-cough behind me, and when I turned, I saw my mom standing in front of a house that I presumed to be ours. It was made of hand-carved, white stone bricks and had a curved wooden door similar to the one that Bilbo Baggins possessed in The Hobbit. I walked onto the vibrantly green grass that had a path through it made of stones like the ones that formed the house that lead to the front door. I hopped from stone to stone, and met my mom at the front door.

"Are you ready?" My mother asked, and I nodded happily. She opened the door to reveal a wide and open front room lined with bookshelves and white stone on the walls, and the floor was made up of polished wood. I heard footsteps coming down a flight of stairs that went up the opposite wall in a curve, and saw my dad walking down them, staring at a book.

"Honey, who was at the do-" he stopped when he saw me standing in the doorway. "Ophelia! What on earth are you doing here?!" My dad looked almost angry.

"My time came," I sang superstitiously. "I was in a Sea Serpent accident. I was impaled like Olaf from Frozen." I giggled a little bit.

"That's lovely," my mom sighed.

"Look on the bright side, Liana, we're a complete family again," my father countered.

"That's true, but what about all of your new friends?"

All of the pain came flooding back to me in an instant. The way I left things with Edmund, and the fact that I never even got to say goodbye to the rest of them. I wondered how Lucy, Eustace, Caspian, and Reep would handle the news of my death, and the very thought made me sick to my stomach. I felt tears rise in my eyes, but I calmed myself with the remembrance that I would see them again someday.

"I've never seen so much pain in eyes so young," my mother observed. "What happened?"

"I-I fell in love. It was childish, really. I'm only fifteen, or maybe sixteen now, but that's much too young to fall in love," I replied.

"You're never too young to fall in love," my father corrected. "Even though I'm kind of feeling that protective-father thing, so when he gets here, he's in for an intense questioning."

"Well, he's someone you already know," I mentioned vaguely.

He gave me a stern look, but didn't have time to say anything before there was a knock on the door.

"I wonder who that could be," my mom sighed.

I walked to the door, and swung it open. "Aslan!"

"Hello Miss Stinger. I see you've found your family," Aslan observed.

"Well, more like they found me. What are you doing here? Have you talked to the Pevensies?"

"Yes, I have spoken to them, and I have something I think you would like to see." He jerked his head to motion me to follow him, so I did. I followed him to the large wave at the end of the city, and looked out over the blue. I knew that Reepicheep was the one who was supposed to come over to the city, but a sudden fear that it would be Edmund filled me. That's when I began to hear grunting. I looked out over the way to see a small boat carrying none other than Reepicheep rowing towards me.

"Reep!" I called out to him. He looked out at me, smiled, and began to row faster. It took him mere moments to reach me, and when he did, I squeezed him into a hug.

"It's great to see you as well," Reep stated when I released him. "I promised Edmund that I would protect you."

"It's also always been your dream to come here," I said matter-of-factly.

"Well... there's that too." Reep agreed shyly.

Suddenly, a thought popped into my brain. "Aslan, I have a question."

"Then ask it, my child," he urged.

"Will I keep aging, or will I be fifteen forever?"

"You may do as you wish."

"Um, okay." I was a little confused, but satisfied with the answer. I turned to Reepicheep. "Would you like to meet my family?"

He seemed a little caught off guard at the question. "I-I would love to!"

I looked to Aslan, and he nodded as if saying that it was okay for me to go, and I turned back to Reep. "I'll take you." I out him on my shoulder, and he was heavy her than I expected. I turned my head back in Aslan's direction, but he was gone.

We quickly walked to my house, and I knocked on the door.

"Come in!" My dad called.

I opened the door, and called back to them, "Mom, Dad, there's someone I want you to meet!" I heard their footsteps on the creaky floor coming in my direction. They both came down the stairs, and stopped dead in their tracks when they saw a mouse on my shoulder. "Mom, dad. This is Reepicheep. One of my friends from my adventures. I think he's going to be staying with is for a while."

"Well, I think we have a couple of spare rooms upstairs," my dad shrugged. "He can stay in one of those." He motioned for us to follow.

"This death thing may not be so bad after all." I set Reepicheep down off my shoulder, and we followed my parents to the second floor.