Chapter 7

Chapter 7

~

"We need never be ashamed of our tears" -Charles Dickens

~

I leaned against the wall across from Caspian's room while he spoke Edmund and Lucy. Eustace was still passed out after one of the minotaurs onboard spoke to him. I swear I laughed so hard I almost fell overboard! I was trying my hardest to see the light of the situation, but the last thing that needed to happen was for me to change history by being present in all of this.

I heard gasps and 'thank you's coming out of the room, so I shouted, "Don't forget to give Edmund his torch!"

"Thank you, Oph!" Caspian called back. I used the torch on numerous occasions to share ghost stories with the crew. We even watched a movie that I had had saved on my phone. As it turns out, if the time on your phone stops in place, so does the battery in Narnia! So I had unlimited battery power, but no wifi. I decided to walk in on their conversation.

"So have you found a wife in those three years?" I heard Lucy ask.

"None to compare to your sister," Caspian answered.

"What about her?" Edmund asked, pointing to me.

"Oh Hell no," I replied. "He's like the annoying brother I never had."

Caspian gasped in fake hurt.

"Hang on," Edmund started, "If there are no wars to fight and no one's in trouble then why are we here?"

"I've been asking myself the same question," Caspian replied. "Ophelia knows what's going to happen, that's why she said she shouldn't be here earlier."

I nodded my head. "In my time, this is a movie. And, trust me, you need to be here."

"So where are we sailing to?" Edmund asked.

"The Lone Islands," I replied before Caspian hit me playfully.

"Shut up and let me tell them!" He exclaimed.

I sighed in annoyance.

"Before I took back the throne from my uncle, he tried to kill my father's closest friends: The Seven Lords of Telmar. They fled to the Lone Islands and no one's heard from them since."

"So you think something's happened to them?" Edmund asked.

"Well if there has, it's my duty to find out," Caspian replied.

"I'm getting a headache from all the British going on here," I groaned.

"Where are you from?" Lucy asked me.

"The fantastic USofA!" I replied with fake enthusiasm. "I hated it there." Not wanting to talk about my life, I changed the subject. "Caspian, tell them what's east of the Lone Islands."

"Unchartered waters," Drinian cut in. "Things you could barely imagine. Tales of sea-serpents and worse."

Edmund gave out a small laugh. "Sea-Serpents?"

"All right, Captain. That's enough of your tall tales," Caspian smiled.

We left the room soon after, and I went with Lucy to hang out with Reep, who wanted to sing apparently, so we snuck up on him.

"Where the sky and water meet,

"Where the waves grow ever sweet,

"Doubt not Reepicheep!

"To find all that you seek

"There is the outer east."

"That's pretty," Lucy complimented

Reep jumped at her voice, causing me to laugh. "Oh, thank you! A dryad sung it to me when I was only a mousling. I've never forgotten the words."

"What do you think's past the Lone Islands, Reep?" Lucy asked him.

"I've been told the furthest east one can sail is to the end of the world, Aslan's country, but Ophelia here refuses to tell us!"

I stuck my tongue out at him in response.

"Do you really believe there's such a place?" Lucy questioned.

"Well, we have nothing if not belief." He shrugged.

"Do you think you could actually sail there?" Lucy asked.

"Well, there's only one way of finding that out. I only hope that one day I will earn the right to see it."

"You're more than worthy, Reep. I can promise you that," I hinted with a wink.

Lucy gasped beside me as she looked down on the mermaids. They were doing flips and twirls for our enjoyment. One of them waved at us, so we then waved back happily. I had been on this ship a full six months, and had only seen them twice before, so this was a treat for me also.

After we had had our fill of watching the mermaids, Lucy questioned me about my old life on the way back to my room.

"So what's it like living in America?" She asked.

"It was rough. I lived in southeast Missouri, so we were kinda out in the middle of nowhere a lot. We're having an election year, and it's not going very well so far."

"Why is that? Your current president seems to be doing a great job!"

"Obama? Oh, you mean Roosevelt. Yeah, he had a pretty good run. Three and a half terms as president."

She nodded along with me. "Do you plan on going back?"

"That's the plan. My mother needs me, but I know from reading the books that time doesn't change much while you're in Narnia, so I know I'll get back to her."

Lucy looked curious. "What happened to your mum?"

"She's... had a little emotional trouble since my dad died overseas. It scares me to think that I might never leave here and she'd have to go on living without me."

"That's awful," Lucy sympathized.

I decided to change the subject. "Well, let's go see what Gally's doing, if he's woken up," I stood to leave.

"Who?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, sorry. Eustace. Wrong movie." I smiled, and we were off.